Tube amp: n00b want to know what's what..
Oct 28, 2005 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sango

100+ Head-Fier
OTL, push pull, singel ended, triode etc etc. Whast does it all stand for and whats the different and when do i need what, and so on.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 28, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 5
"OTL", sometimes seen as Or2, On_, on_, OTZ, orz, O7Z, ○| ̄|_, or (in backward) Sto, Jto, illustrates a person facing left and kneeling on the ground, especially out of discouragement.

push pull refers to Class B output. Advantage of Class B is power saving, when there is no input there is no power dissipated in the output, disadvantage is distortion when signal is at low level (near zero crossing). There are techniques to correct them, nonetheless additional components are involved so it's better to use Class A to maximum quality output.

single ended in general means an input with a singal level in reference to (usually) ground. The opposite is differential input, which has higher common noise rejection.

A triode is a type of vacuum tube with three elements, I don't know much about them since they are largely obsolete except in audio.

Et cetera, usually abbreviated to etc. (archaic abbreviations include &c. and &/c.) is Latin for and the others

Oct 29, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 5
give me a little bit more time - by the end of the week version 2 of my faq should be up (ver1 is currently stickied at the top of the amps forum). i've been working on it for the past few month, squeezing it in whenever i had time at work.

trust me - it will answer all your questions, and then some more.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back