Tube amp life and longevity and such?
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PrincessLeliana

500+ Head-Fier
Just had a quick question for tubiness.

Considering a schiit Valhalla 2, but I am worried about 2 things. One: they get real hot, real real real hot, is that, is that ok? Is that safe?

And more importantly, longevity, I am aware I have to replace tubes eventually, but I tend to run my amps for 14 hours a day, on average. Second I get up till the second I go to bed that thing is on, is that safe for the amp? Especially with the heat, would I drive it into the ground? Or are they designed to operate like that

Thank

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 9
Might depend on the tube, some tubes are made for consumer level products.
I would expect surplus military tubes to be more robust.

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 9
I am worried about .... longevity. I am aware I have to replace tubes eventually, but I tend to run my amps for 14 hours a day, on average.

Tubes in well-designed gear last a long time.

Not an apples-to-apples comparison, but my speaker-system power amps are on 24 hours a day, 51 weeks out of every year. The heatsinks are at a constant 105 degrees F in my 72-degree room, year-round. And those amps have been running like that on a single set of tubes (6DJ8 and 6CA4) for over a decade.

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 9
Tubes in well-designed gear last a long time.

Not an apples-to-apples comparison, but my speaker-system power amps are on 24 hours a day, 51 weeks out of every year. The heatsinks are at a constant 105 degrees F in my 72-degree room, year-round. And those amps have been running like that on a single set of tubes (6DJ8 and 6CA4) for over a decade.
Oh that's wonderful then.

I want toobs. TOOBS. Giv

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 9
It's generally true that in a well designed circuit valves (tubes) are subjected to the greatest stress during the switch on and warm up period. If the anode voltage develops too quickly, it will strip the cathode coating faster as the cathode is heated up.
Therefore valves fair better, (in general terms) if left switched on.

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 9
I think tube last a very long time. The issue is inflated prices of tube models due to rarity of them and demand by audiophiles. I recommend not getting into tube rolling as it's expensive, and solid-state to keep your wallet safe. lol

It seems like Valhalla 2 should be a good safe choice at the price point from what I've been hearing about it. I wondered how it's OTL sounds with Sennheisers. Sennheisers responds well to OTL.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 9
I think tube last a very long time. The issue is inflated prices of tube models due to rarity of them and demand by audiophiles. I recommend not getting into tube rolling as it's expensive, and solid-state to keep your wallet safe. lol

It seems like Valhalla 2 should be a good safe choice at the price point from what I've been hearing about it. I wondered how it's OTL sounds with Sennheisers. Sennheisers responds well to OTL.

i'm running Valhalla 2 with Senn HD6XX and they seem to be a very good match.. Prior to this I was using Magni 3+ amp and the difference between them is massive. Better low end extension, lower floor noise, more separation of instruments and a little wider soundstage.

Yes, the Valhalla 2 gets pretty hot, but then again, don't all Class A amps?? I have mine switched on and in use for 6-10 hours per day and really think it's a winning combination.

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 9
i'm running Valhalla 2 with Senn HD6XX and they seem to be a very good match.. Prior to this I was using Magni 3+ amp and the difference between them is massive. Better low end extension, lower floor noise, more separation of instruments and a little wider soundstage.

Yes, the Valhalla 2 gets pretty hot, but then again, don't all Class A amps?? I have mine switched on and in use for 6-10 hours per day and really think it's a winning combination.
I got a mjolnir in the end actually haha ^^ I will likely get a val 2 when my finances stabilise, as Ive always wanted a tube amp and it gets GLOWING (haha) reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back