Tube Amp for W11R
Sep 29, 2008 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hitoridekimasu

New Head-Fier
Hi all:

I'm just looking for an amp for my Audio Technica ATH-W11R cans.
They could sound fine, but I found that they are quite different depending on the amp used.
Using an entry level SS amp, they tend to give much harshness in high frequency and reduced low frequency presence.

In our last Spanish Headphone meeting I could test several amps and I realized that the more I approached to tube amp, the more I liked their sound.

The best matching to the sound I'm looking for was with an Antique Sound Labs MG Head DT. Just the set shown in this picture:

2887965179_eb343c7590_o.jpg

This amp enhanced the low frequencies presence and gave the high frequencies a smoothness I never heard before with this cans.

The thing is that this is the only configuration I heard with tube amp and W11R cans, so I wonder if is there anything else that will perform better with a moderate price. I'm not much experienced with Audio Technicas but I think that with some differences, they have a very similar sound line (i.e. sound signature).

I will appreciate any advice and comments about your experience with W-series Audio Technica's amplifying.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!

Oct 1, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi Juan Ramon, it has been a while since I sold by two AT cans (W1000 and W5000) and years since I listened to an amp by Antique Sound Lab. So take my comments lightly.
wink.gif

First of, if you found an amp that you like w/ your cans and it is in your budget by all means get it. No amount of information or recomendation will be as good as your own two ears.

I will also add that if you have two amps that you like equally get the one sold via a distributor in Spain. The last thing you want to do is ship the amp overseas to get it serviced. The time and cost will be considerable.

Have you listened to a Graham Slee or Dr. Meier's amps? I mention these two because they are in the EU and it may be easier for you to secure service in the future.

As far as the Darkvoice, I have listened to the 336 (nice amp by the way) but not w/ AT cans so I can not comment. Sorry for not being much help.
redface.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Thank you for your answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of, if you found an amp that you like w/ your cans and it is in your budget by all means get it.

I think you are so much right. This is a very good advice. As long as I don't have any other information, nor the oportunity to listend to the DV337, I will go for the ASL.

I could hear a Graham Slee Solo at the meet, and it was a very good amp that matches quite good W11R but I like more the sound I could get from the ASL. I think that the tube output relaxes the aggressiveness of the highs of this cans.

Thanks again. Good advice.

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 6
I'd 2nd the DV since I have DV332 that I use to drive my W5000 and I am absolutely impressed with the sound I am getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back