tube amp for vinyl setup?
Sep 22, 2014 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

aberberich

New Head-Fier
hey all,

i've been slowly trying to put together a vinyl setup and i'm curious what you would recommend from a headphone amp perspective. I've heard that tube amps sound really good with vinyl although never actually experienced any. What are some decent tube amps that fall under $300?

Thanks!

adam

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 7
Well I have the WA2 and a Rega RP3 with a project phono box. They sound amazing together. 

If you raise your max just a bit you can buy a Schiit Valhalla. 

http://schiit.com/products/valhalla-2

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 7
What headphones are you using? If they're low ohm, be careful about what you buy. Non-OTL tube amps that can play nice with low impedance headphones are hard to find built right at those price points. A hybrid could work though. Again, all depends on your rig.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 7
hey all, thanks for the replies! I'm actually rocking low ohm cans, ATH-A900x's and ATH-700AD's. I think they are both 32ohm iirc. Am I better off looking into a hybrid instead of a tube than?

Sorry for all the question, I don't know tons about amp types, just been using a FiioE10 prior to this..

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 7
  hey all, thanks for the replies! I'm actually rocking low ohm cans, ATH-A900x's and ATH-700AD's. I think they are both 32ohm iirc. Am I better off looking into a hybrid instead of a tube than?

Sorry for all the question, I don't know tons about amp types, just been using a FiioE10 prior to this..

You definitely want a hybrid tube amp. Are you comfortable with DIY? 

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 7
Well some cheap hybrid options would be the Garage1217 Project Starlight or Sunrise III, and the Schiit Vali. There are lots of other options, I'm just not so sure. Anything with a low output impedance (<4 ohms) should work, but always check reviews. Some cheap tube amps are some of the worst cheap amps there are.

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 7
  Well some cheap hybrid options would be the Garage1217 Project Starlight or Sunrise III, and the Schiit Vali. There are lots of other options, I'm just not so sure. Anything with a low output impedance (<4 ohms) should work, but always check reviews. Some cheap tube amps are some of the worst cheap amps there are.

+1 I agree. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back