tube amp for the k701
Feb 19, 2009 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

whitemonkey

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I've searched the forum for a decisive answer regarding a proper tube amp for the k701 with no luck.
Every thread I've found contradicted the other.

Basically the setup I have is: Juli@ > Aqua Head amp (solid state) > K701

The sound is pretty detailed with my current amp and the sound stage is huge but something is lacking, the sound is too "cold".
I had the opportunity to the listen to the cans via the Naim Audio Headline amp and it felt more "right" (so I know its not the K701) but that amp is way over my budget.

What I'm looking for is an amp that will lively up the music, make it more involving and warm. To my understanding a tube amp can be the solution.

Since the selection of amps is pretty poor where I live I can't test them myself. My budget is $300, so I ask you people, what do you recommend?

I've had my eyes set on the Darkvoice 336se, can later maybe upgrade the tubes, what do you think? any suggestions?

Thanks for your time and sorry about the long post
normal_smile .gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 28
I'm pretty sure some voices will jump in here to contradict me, but in my opinion headphones like these absolutely need a hybrid tube amp rather than a full tube amp.
The SOHA II would be an excellent choice, though it may be tough to find one as it is a very recent design (diy too). You could build one yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

Another very good choice is the Millet MAX/ miniMAX. These are more readily available.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 28
not surprisingly we will often contradict each other in this forum because of differences of opinion and ears as well as experience. I am not the most experienced or technically savy person, but this is what ive gleaned from those that are more experienced. akg 701s are low impedance headphones with low sensitivity making them innefficient to drive. they need current to sound their best. most tube amps do not deliver the current required. especially the less expensive tube amps. this is why i went with a hybrid amp the ef1. tube in the pre-amp, op-amp in the power portion. it did improve the sound of my 701s over the go-vibe with 24volt elpac and ad627 op-amps. Increased the soundstage and improved bass response, also helped the prat of headphone. I still wonder if a SS amp would to better as the heed canamp is proported to do. tubes are fun though and with ok1 makes them sound like full sized headphones. and denon d5000 cranks out incredible bass and improved soundstage.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 28
Save grasshopper.

I agree with you rds that they would sound good with a hybrid. There are recent threads of how well the $300 EF1 sounds. They also sound good with a good tube amp with enough power to run both low and high imp. cans.

A tube dac could also offer that warmth with his existing amp. A used older dac like a CAL Sigma II is about $250. I've been rolling tubes in mine and it's amazing how different a component can sound. Another option is to use a tube buffer out of the Juli.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 28
If you are a looking for a very good tube amp and you are on a budget, I strongly recommend the Little Dot MK III. You can do some tube rolling after that to get the sound that you are looking for and that matches your K701. It is $199 + shiping.

Much has been said about it. Here is the thread and link for the reviews and the tube rolling:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...re-amp-309855/

Little Dot MK III: An Exclusive Review

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/lit...olling-276757/

Viewing a thread - A New Member of The MK Family: LD MK III

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 28
I agree with the above poster about using a hybrid for the 701. I tried mine with both a WA3+ and a WA6 and overall I preferred the sound (by quite a bit) from my x-can v3. I also have the Darkvoice 337 and its got the juice to give the 701's what the need, but I don't know if the lower end DV amps would have the muscle.

I've never heard the EF-1, but I think the hybrid x-can (with some nice tubes) is an excellent choice for the 701.

Edit: Full disclosure, I have an x-can for sale in the FS forums right now, but even if I didn't, I'd still feel the same way (I've posted as such many times to this same question).

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are a looking for a very good tube amp and you are on a budget, I strongly recommend the Little Dot MK III. You can do some tube rolling after that to get the sound that you are looking for and that matches your K701. It is $199 + shiping.

I would only recommend the LD III if you are on a budget, even then I may suggest going another route. While the LD III sounds good with other headphones, I find that it is just "okay" with the K701s. The treble is rolled off, and while the bass has good depth, it loses much of its impact as musical passages get more complex. The LD III just starts showing the potential of what the K701s can do.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 28
I own the K701 and I think the best amp ever used with those is a SS tube like amp HR-2 RSA. The sound just matches and I get speed and accuracy from the SS world with warm and fluidity of the Tube world.

PS: I have swapped the AD797AN for the AD797BRZ

If you have money to spend please try the RSA HR-2 and enjoy the music.
k701smile.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 28
Thing with budget amps, they don't perform to the potential of better quality parts and more detailed design. While they are adequate for the price, they don't provide the performance of the more expensive gear. That line of distinction is subjective and therefore hard to nail down. Don't expect the performance of say a Zana Deux out of a LD for the K701s. Not even close. But then if you have never heard a Zana Deux, the LD may be satisfactory.

Best to hear them for yourself. If you are a casual listener and just want a taste of what they can do with a solid amp, get to a meet. They are great places to meet knowledgeable people and listen to gear to set a reference by. Many don't feel the differences in cost are worth the investment. Only you can determine the value.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 28
I'm happy with my new Little Dot I+ and it's not even burned-in yet. Per David's instructions I took off the jumpers to take advantage of the high gain and it pushes the 701s nicely. I'm happy so far for <$150 and 5-day shipping from China!

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 28
I actually wouldn't recommend the I+ based on my experience comparing it to the LD MK V (SS) amp. Although the sound was a little smoother out of the I+, the AKGs lost a lot of the clarity and punch that they are capable of, probably because it's a pretty budget amp.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #15 of 28
For the 701 (which I own), you really want to stay away from OTL tube amplifiers. This includes most of the selections from China. The Millet Starving Student and other FET output hybrids will do a pretty good job, but if you can possibly afford a tube amp with transformer output, that will be your best bet. I have both a Starving Student and a SEX amp and the SEX amp performs much better. It is $50 or so outside your budget, but well worth considering.

For what it's worth, I tried my Airhead on the 701's and that should be avoided!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back