Tube amp for HD700 - confused about which one to pick!
Dec 28, 2015 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

hbuus

Head-Fier
I'm looking at a bunch of different tube amps for my Sennheiser HD700, but it's hard to decide on one.
For example is the "extra" price of amps such as Woo WA3 ($599) or Elise ($689+) worth it/necessary compared to getting a somewhat cheaper amp such as Valhalla 2, Lyr 2, Little Dot MK4 etc.?
I mean: How do you know if one of the cheaper amps will be plenty sufficient, or if what you really want is to save up for one of the more expensive amps?

I know it's probably an impossible question to answer but I could really use some help/guidance.

Does it boil down to this: Get the best one you can afford that has the features you want?

I've never heard a tube amp in my life but I keep reading that it's an excellent choice for HD700.

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi. I'm new to this website, but I've been using headphones since the mid-1960's (Koss Pro-4AA's). For the past 15+ years my headphones of choice were Sennheiser HD600's, but several months ago I updated to the Senn HD700's. I initially used the 700's with the Bryston preamp in my main system. However, I wanted more mobility (bedroom, workshop, etc.) and decided to buy two modestly priced headphone amps, one a solid state (Channel Islands Audio VHP-2 with VAC power supply), and the other a tube/SS hybrid (Pangea HP-201). I got the CIA model used, for $325, and the Pangea as a demo for $225. Both are very competent HP amps, but they have somewhat different tonal profiles. I have done some tube rolling with the Pangea and so far have been very pleased with it. However, I think that both amps offer great value, so if you have a restricted budget you might want to audition them. Have fun listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back