tube amp for hd 650
Jun 2, 2004 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
Any of you did listen to both ppx and earmax amps ? Can you advice me one very natural sounding tube amp to start -I'm buying my first tube amp ,I'm happy for having decided to get into tubes but I'm a bit messed up since i'm new in this and there are lot of good opinions about lot of tube amps / tubes ..

My rig : a warm source and hd650 + zu/ohelback
Music I listen : classic , rock ( '70 - '90 ) , everything sounding good except pop and country

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 5
I have never heard the Earmax Pro, but I own a PPX3. It is a versatile amp that can work well with a lot of phones, and the ease of tuberolling it means you can customize the sound how you want it. I really enjoy my PPX3 for industrial and rock music, with certain tubes it can really sound very lively.

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Just wait until this weekend. During Ohio mini-meet, we are expecting a serious comparison between various $$$-fi tube amps using HD650s/CD3Ks. At least that will be one of my primary purpose of attending the meet w/ current gas price (Dope!). I don't know about the others, but this is my sole reason of attending this mini-meet besides an obvious joy of meeting fellow head-fiers
wink.gif
I am planning to use my own comprehensive evaluation chart and post the results on Sunday night.

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 5
I don't know if you'll get to hear a wooAudio-I any time soon, but it sounds great. OTL design, preamp capabilities. Can be customized, like Mikhail's singlepower amps as well. Definitely worth a look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back