tube amp for complement/contrast with arietta
Oct 30, 2007 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mrwinick

100+ Head-Fier
I'm ready for a second amp. I have the arietta, which I am very happy with. I want a tube amp, but one that will offer a sound signature that is going to be very different from the arietta (obviously, in a good way). I use hd600 exclusively. I also use emu 0404 DAC. Budget around $500. I understand ASL to be very 'tubey.' (There's an ASL OTL 32 on audiogon right now) So, those of you with SS and tube--what do you suggest?
I suppose I should also ask whether if what I want is a complement should I go with additional headphones or DAC instead of an amp?

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Upgrade your source.
Get better stand-alone DAC, and it absolutely change how your arietta sound. Then later, get a tube amp to compliment your kit.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 7
I thought the Emu 0404 USB was considered fairly decent around here? Based on what I've read, I would think it just fine for amps at that price level. Now if he were saying he was going to get a $1k amp or something, I could understand the source issue, but for amps at this level?

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcs414 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the Emu 0404 USB was considered fairly decent around here? Based on what I've read, I would think it just fine for amps at that price level. Now if he were saying he was going to get a $1k amp or something, I could understand the source issue, but for amps at this level?

I have the 0404USB and have tried/owned some stand-alone DACs. I agree that it's good enough for amps of this level.

It seems that the OP has the 0404 PCI, which I haven't tried. If it is only slightly inferior, it should still be fine for the Arietta.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 7
I have tried once, and at that time I dont have any comparison,
but right now, it's pretty mixed up, since I keep changing opamps in my iBasso D1 DAC. D1 perform better imo, than Emu 0404.
However they just fall into Lo - Mid Fi category -_-;
I tried Musiland MD10 DAC, compared to D1 - and they just feel... abit similar?

So I conclude, you might want to get a better desktop DAC, like Constantine II USB or Paradisea + since both affordable, keep you arrietta for this moment, and get tube amp later on. So you get the best of both world
biggrin.gif

It's still my opinion though,
Hopefully you find better solution
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 7
How much are the Constantine II and Paradisea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back