Tube Amp Advice Sought
Jul 24, 2016 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Alu

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone.

I recently acquired an almost brand new ATH-W5000 (which hasn't arrived yet, so I can't speak to its sound) for the staggering sum of 480 pounds.
I'm very much looking forward to trying it.

My current inventory includes the following headphones:
Focal Spirit Classic (mainly used for gaming with a modmic attachment, very good musical performer as well though, but slightly uncomfortable for longer sessions)
Sennheiser HD650 (the all-time favourite)
Denon AH-D2000 (somewhere lost in my garage - will move soon and hopefully find it again)
Audio Technica ATH-W5000 (ETA next week)

I'm running all of the above through a Corda Symphony AMP/DAC combo, which is quite wonderful with both headphones I do currently use.
However I feel like I want a bit of a taste of something new and exciting, probably triggered by the impulse purchase of the W5000, and I always have had an interest in tube amps.

My budget would probably be around 400 quid.

Would anyone have any advice on how to proceed from here?
I read a lot of nice things about the Schiit Lyr2, but are there maybe cheaper alternatives that would perform just as well?
Or slightly more expensive alternatives that perform much better?

Also how far would I have to stretch my budget in regards to decent tubes, or do most tube amps come with an appropriate set?

I'm very much a noobie when it comes to the whole shebang, so I hope you can help me dig into my house savings and celebrate frivolity.

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 5
Having had a quick look around, the Bottlehead Crack looks like quite a well reviewed and universally liked amplifier!
I'd say that's a fantastic suggestion and I'm very much tempted.

However, I have never even come close to a soldering iron and I have no DIY skills whatsoever, so I'd assume this would be a bit of a struggle for me to put together.
Also I saw on their website that they don't have a 240V version at this point in time (I live in the UK).

I'm going to get in touch with them and see what can be done there.

So thanks a bunch for that!

Any other tube advice?

I saw that people can't really agree on anything when it comes to the W5000 specifically.
And yes, I probably won't get the HA5000, because it's too expensive on its own (maybe at some point in the future).

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 5
There are a few assembled & in 240V being sold

https://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/938019502.htm?ca=12_s
https://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/982248910.htm?ca=12_s
http://www.kijiji.it/annunci/audio-tv-e-video/milano-annunci-abbiategrasso/bottlehead-crack-speedball-amplificatore-otl-per-cuffie/99463339

Those links aren't in English, but using Google translate to send a message would work. Not sure if U.K. still has to pay VAT taxes now that they are out of the EU.

The Crack is the best you can get from a tube amp under $500.
The similar quality amps are the La Figaro 339, Woo WA6, Icon Audio HP8 Mk2 are all $600-$900

Darkvoice is another good company that sell tube amps for $200-$300.
Schiit is highly regarded as well & have tube amps under $500.
Litlle Dot is a Chinese tube amp company & they have a fan base here as well.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks very much for all of your input!

I'd definitely like to go for any of the already built Cracks, but I can't seem to find the feedback indicating whether I can trust any of these sellers or not.
Also, I got in touch with Bottleneck, and they advised against a Crack for a low impedance HP like the W5000 and that I should go for their Mainline option, which I currently can't afford (costs around 1k).
Around that kind of budget I also saw the WA7 Fireflies, which looks absolutely stunning, but is out of my league as of now.

Ideally I'd like to use the amp with all of my headphones, and this may be a bit of a ridiculous ask, since the W5k don't seem to play nice with many amplifiers from what I gathered by reading threads online.

I'm going to go through the list of the amplifiers you recommended and see what I can work with there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back