tube amp < $300?
Jun 1, 2006 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

braker218

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a tube amp for under 300 bucks, but I am not quite sure which one to go for. This will be driving a W100, so the amp must be able to drive low impedance cans.

Write now I am looking at a Morgan Jones amp, because I have heard the Earmax Pro is awesome for the W100, and the Morgan Jones is basically a clone. Do you think this would be good?

Thanks.

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 15
Jun 1, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Here's the manufacturer website, but it's all in Russian and I couldn't tell you what any of it says:

(Russian) Laconic "Lunch Box" tube amps -- $100 USD

Guys, in sale in the USA our amplifiers is engaged www.eddiecurrent.com. A question of the price of our amplifiers in the USA can answer to the address of cuthus@charter.net
In this price to enter all:
-Aviatransportation and customs registration Russia in the USA
-training of amplifiers
-warranty service.

From the USA it should be convenient for users

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 15
the Morgan Jones amp is a reverse engineered version of EarMax, not an actual EarMax, not even an EarMax Pro. but i believe they share some essentials and sound quality more depends on who makes the amp and use what components.

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 15
Ming da mc66-ae. Single ended class A. Yumm?

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 15
I have the total bithead (old ver?) as well but have been quite interested in getting a dedicated desktop amp as well.

I will also be using the W100 as well as the W1000 and will be running it off my PC with the AV-710 Chaintech.

Just bumping I guess, same price range as the OP. I like the price of the Mini Dot II?

Jun 1, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 15
I am running a Ming Da MC66-AE w/Electro Harmonix gold pin 12ax7 (input stage - 20 dollar purchase shipped from a tube vendor). It has great synergy w/my Senn HD650s (Music Hall CD25 source, VH Audio Pulsar Interconnects).

This setup is really turning out to be a nice one, to my ears!

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCanhead
I am running a Ming Da MC66-AE w/Electro Harmonix gold pin 12ax7 (input stage - 20 dollar purchase shipped from a tube vendor). It has great synergy w/my Senn HD650s (Music Hall CD25 source, VH Audio Pulsar Interconnects).

This setup is really turning out to be a nice one, to my ears!

Just to clarify, I did try a set of K701s w/the Ming Da amp. Although it has a low impedance setting (32 ohms), it didn't seem to handle them well (bass and treble breakup). I missed your comment about the low impedance phones.

I would like to hear more about the Darkvoice (as owners break them in and roll tubes.) It seems to just be getting some feedback on the forum, here.

SL

Jun 24, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 15
In terms of living up to the classic tube sound signature that tube amps are known for, how close does the X-Can live up to that reputation in relation to the WooAudio3? I don't know if it's just that the tubes are internal, but my mind doesn't want me to think that it's going to be a very tubey and warm amp (As compared to something like the WooAudio3).

Jun 24, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
In terms of living up to the classic tube sound signature that tube amps are known for, how close does the X-Can live up to that reputation in relation to the WooAudio3? I don't know if it's just that the tubes are internal, but my mind doesn't want me to think that it's going to be a very tubey and warm amp (As compared to something like the WooAudio3).

The X-Can V3 is very tubey indeed. If you want a lot of punch and detail then do the PinkFloyd's modifications. It can be bought for $300 used and it is a bargain.

Jun 24, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fang
Hi, I would like to know which amp would sync nicely with the older beyer dt880? The mingda , MF Xcan or something else perhaps. Thanks

My PinkFloyd modded X-Can V3 mates beautifully with the K701 and K340. It is also a great amp for Senn HD580/600/650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back