TTVJ Portable Hybrid - Help with some questions!
Apr 26, 2010 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

LevA

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Just received my TTVJ Portable Hybrid! put about 2 hours on it so far and the sound is quite good but will hold judgement until it has more hours on it.

have a few questions to owners or those who had tried/listened to this amp before.

first, i have some low level channel imbalance. anyone have the same issue? Its not so bad but with esw10's and my iems to get a proper balance I do need to increase the volume somewhat more than my usual listening volume (which seems to be around 8.30~9.00..this amp is pretty powerful I have to say..). compared to my D10, the volume is way higher..

second, I'm hearing some crackling noise on the right side (not the pinging from the tubes) and I think its coming from my computer/internet. will test it out further, but does the TTVJ have slight RF issues?

as for pinging, not a real issue for me so far. there is some pinging when placed on table, but very faint. once I put on some rubber feet I don't think it will be an issue at all.

and as a general question, if you have low level volume imbalance, what options are there to fix it? change the pot? or get the gain settings changed? any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 34
well after listening and burning it in for the last 6 hrs, my conclusion is this amp is a beast!!
its got so much power that I cannot turn to volume above 9.00 o'clock. and even at 9 it is way louder than I can tolerate. my sweet spot is between 8~8:30. the problem is there is low level channel imbalance. up until 8 sound is only coming from the right and by 8:30 the left channel still lower than right. so that pretty much sums up my problem.

what options do i have to fix it? given that my listening volume is so low, not sure if changing the pot is going to work.
can the gain be changed on this amp?

any input would be greatly appreciated guys!

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 34
hi wuwhere,

yeah, really enjoying this little beast! so much power for such a little amp. though the imbalance is a problem. hope I can find a way to fix it as this little amp is a definite keeper.

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 34
It is a real power beast eh?!
wink.gif

Although I'm waiting for my Pico Slim, this one is my absolute fav.

I haven't detected low level imbalance which you're describing - is this a feature of certain headphone combinations with single sided inputs perhaps?

I thought I had this with my Ultrasone Pro 900s and then (doh!!) like other newbs hadn't screwed in the headphone jack tightly enough!

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 34
hey head_case,

well I can hear the channel imbalance with both the esw10jpn and my ath-ckm70 iem.

btw, the strings do sound fabulous with this amp!

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 34
so, what volume level are you guys listening at?

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey head_case,

well I can hear the channel imbalance with both the esw10jpn and my ath-ckm70 iem.

btw, the strings do sound fabulous with this amp!

Hmmm...this is probably a specific issue with IEMs...maybe you need a new Headamp Pico Slim with the extra cool volume pot adjuster then too?
biggrin.gif

I bet it's one of the limitations of a traditional analogue designed tube amplifier with what are essentially, digital IEM etymotic earphones? I tried IEMs but couldn't live with them. I know I look like a right head case with full sized phones, but the sound quality from full sized Ultrasone Pro 900s with a TTVJ is just incredible ~ it's like being positioned right in the middle of a chamber with the musicians playing around you - thanks to the fabulous Surround Sound Logic from the Ultrasones, and the TTVJ amp opening them up that extra dimension.....!

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 34
the problem is still there with my headphones though. I guess esw10's are really sensitive. I can control the source volume on my computer but with opod+lod, I have no control...

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 34
Nuts....

have you asked TTVJ about the etymiotic use? I've no idea if this is an issue with mine since I never use anything as sensitive. Good ol' analogue
smily_headphones1.gif

How thrilling are the rich woody timbres of the instruments and soundstaging of the Milletts Hybrid?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 34
thanks wuwhere, same situation here. 8:30~9:00 balances out...

what headphones do you listen with? I can't even get to 9 oclock position with ipod+lod. I find it too loud. my prefered volume is around 8 to 8:15, but got that channel imbalance...
sort of wondering what to do now...
frown.gif

really don't want to give up on this amp as i am really enjoying the sound sig. but sort of have no idea how to fix the channel imbalance.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks wuwhere, same situation here. 8:30~9:00 balances out...

what headphones do you listen with? I can't even get to 9 oclock position with ipod+lod. I find it too loud. my prefered volume is around 8 to 8:15, but got that channel imbalance...
sort of wondering what to do now...
frown.gif

really don't want to give up on this amp as i am really enjoying the sound sig. but sort of have no idea how to fix the channel imbalance.

I wonder if you can lower the gain? Perhaps ask Todd?

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 34
AARRGHH!!! The gods are playing a trick on me!!
triportsad.gif

just when I think i found the perfect amp, this comes up....I really love the way it sounds with the esw10's...just the channel imbalance.And just that tiny bit on the volume knob, not much just a fraction....
mad.gif

so what are my options?? how do I fix this? get a new pot installed? use an attenuator? send it back (last resort, after all other options -whatever they may be?)...
willing to spend some money to fix this situation but have no idea how to go about it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back