TTVJ Millett Hybrid Amp?
Jul 6, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 16
No one has one of these?
I am quite interested but I see nobody talking about it.

Any info would be great as I don't really want to shell out $460 without knowing anything about the amp... Or if it's even worth it.

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 16
It would be helpful if you were to provide more specifics--headphones, source, and expected use (portable, transportable, or stationary use). For example, I had the TTVJ Millett Hybrid Amp and loved it with my Grado RS1s but not with my AKg K701. Additionally, I found the amp to be too microphonic for my use (bike/BART train commute to/from work). It paired-up nicely with Shure E4Cs--great bass response and mellow highs. I replaced it with a Xin Reference amp (lucky enought to get one of the last batches before his extended hibernation) and more recently with a Headamp Pico amp. Both required less gentle handling than the TTVJ Millett Hybrid Amp (bumps produce tube humming). Hope that helps!
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 16
That did help, thank you.
I will be using it with either a Cowon D2 or a Sansa Clip as a source. The headphones will mostly be Ety ER-4P->S and sometimes HFI780s.

What got me interested, is that I assumed a warmer sound signature with better bass response for my Etys. I am, however not willing to sacrifice the detail I get right now out of my Etys (using a 2Move with the DAPs).

Again, thanks for the reply.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr13zehn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That did help, thank you.
I will be using it with either a Cowon D2 or a Sansa Clip as a source. The headphones will mostly be Ety ER-4P->S and sometimes HFI780s.

What got me interested, is that I assumed a warmer sound signature with better bass response for my Etys. I am, however not willing to sacrifice the detail I get right now out of my Etys (using a 2Move with the DAPs).

Again, thanks for the reply.
smily_headphones1.gif

I did use the TTVJ Hybrid amp with my Ety ER-$P. Initially, I was getting some low-level hum with this combo but the hum subsided substantially with a P-S adapter. The highs were fine with this combo and it did complement the Ety headphones nicely. However, I preferred my Shures for comfort and bass response.

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #6 of 16
TTVJ Hybrid Millett is marvelous! it's one of my favorite portable.
I love this combination:
iMOD -> ALO au/ag -> Vcap -> CablePro EarCandy Lite -> TTVJ Hybrid Millet -> UE11.

If you love how tubes sound, then give TTVJ Hybrid Millett a listen.

You didn't provide enough information about your gear, your music, etc.

Be Careful with low impedance sensitive IEM, you are bound to hear hissing background noise.

Jul 7, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 16
I agree with jlingo, the TTVJ Millett is a marvelous little amp, to my taste, the most musical I've heard but it probably doesn't synergize well with all the phones and/or music genre because while some people love this amp, many others dislike it. In my opinion it is not a good "portable" amp, it is more like a transportable. The little tube inside makes noise if you hit the amp on a desk or something hard. Also it makes a tiny bit of background noise with my low Z w5000 so I'm not sure I would use it with IEM.

This said however, to my taste, it is really a super sweet sounding unit, jazz and music that has a lot of prominent voices or string instruments sounds really good through this little amp.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 16
There is a big review thread in the member of the trade forum for TTVJ on these, including one by me and Skylab. I love mine.

I'm on my cell phone, so I can't easily link you right now.

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 16
I had a love hate relationship with the TTVJ Millet. For jazz it is superb! its sound presentation reminds me of an small smokey jazz club with its dark intimate sound.

However it pings due to microphonics, specially when you insert a headphone or if you lay it a bit hard on a hard surface. I would not use it as a portable during walks, train rides, etc. Definetly not for sport activities like riding a bike or jogging.
mad.gif
Sad because it does sound good.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 16
I use mine for sports all the time... I reduced the pinging to almost nothing... by using DAP or blue tack a putty which keeps the tubes from moving.. I suppose if you were obsessed you could use a liquid nails or silicone type adhesive which would be removeable..

IMHO this amp is the most musical of the portables. and with edition 9 it has the best low end response ...even if below 30hx it might be slightly tipped up...

The TTVJ Millet actually has enough juice to make the edition 9's shake on your head with low bass material..definitely an immersive involving experience that makes you forget you are wearing headphones.

People say to me.."holy crap, I'm actually in the night club!"

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use mine for sports all the time... I reduced the pinging to almost nothing... by using DAP or blue tack a putty which keeps the tubes from moving.. I suppose if you were obsessed you could use a liquid nails or silicone type adhesive which would be removeable..

IMHO this amp is the most musical of the portables. and with edition 9 it has the best low end response ...even if below 30hx it might be slightly tipped up...

The TTVJ Millet actually has enough juice to make the edition 9's shake on your head with low bass material..definitely an immersive involving experience that makes you forget you are wearing headphones.

People say to me.."holy crap, I'm actually in the night club!"

I still have mine - for a short while it was with Blutarsky but I traded back for it.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #15 of 16
Just got it to use with my JH13s. The synergy is amazing. It is so soft and seductive. Sucks you into the music, like soft pillows that massages the music into your ears.

Very different indeed from my iQube (which give more of a 'clean' sound) and my D10 (more of a 'wow' noise).

The TTVJ Millet is good to fall asleep to. In fact I'll do that right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back