TTJV Slim
Oct 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #16 of 24

I don't know, I kinda like the input and output on the opposite sides. Easier for me to use a LOD with my ipod into the amp and then headphones & volume out the other. Easier to organize and setup in a case/pouch.

Quote:
Definitely, it is a desk or listening station amp and is fully capable of driving larger cans.  If you dont plan to ever use it in your pocket or inside a bag and want something small that doesn't take up space, I would recommend it all day long.  ( I wouldn't pair it with orthos or anything beyond 250ohm that requires some decent wattage ) but for mid fi sets a'la HD 598, the ultrasones, all the grados ect ect, the TTVJ is wonderful.  Just too big for me and not possible or safe to use in your pocket.  Neither was the Pico Slim despite being small, in and output jacks should NEVER EVER UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES EVER...REPEAT** BELLS AND FLASHING LIGHTS** NEVER be placed on opposite sides of the amplifier.  

you can easily break your interconnects and the jacks themselves.  They are not even that safe with L style adapters.  It is significantly more safe to have both ends pointing upwards out of your pocket for obvious reasons.  :3

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #17 of 24

Quote:

I don't know, I kinda like the input and output on the opposite sides. Easier for me to use a LOD with my ipod into the amp and then headphones & volume out the other. Easier to organize and setup in a case/pouch.

Guess everyone thinks differently on this. I personally agree with SW on this one though and find it much neater to have all the connections on the top. I guess if you use a case to clip this to your pants or whatnot could work. I'm a pocket kinda guy though unless I carry it.

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #18 of 24

Quote:

Synergy: TTJV + HD650 = Warm, non-fatiguing, somewhat laid back yet lush and engaging. Very sweet!

Yep synergy will play a big roll and make or break a rig. I still do not find the UHA4 to be harsh at all. Its a very smooth sounding amp. I use it with my Hifiman 601 with my FX700s and Pure silver cabled IE8s and it does wonders for them.

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:

I don't see how that is remotely possible. It would be harder to use with one cable sticking out of one side, and the lod cable on the other, you just increased the length of the setup significantly and if its in a case or pouch you would need yet a larger case to hold it all, thus adding even more weigh and pressure on whichever end is pointed toward the ground in your pocket.  

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
I don't see how that is remotely possible. It would be harder to use with one cable sticking out of one side, and the lod cable on the other, you just increased the length of the setup significantly and if its in a case or pouch you would need yet a larger case to hold it all, thus adding even more weigh and pressure on whichever end is pointed toward the ground in your pocket.  

I have a clip-on case for the ipod. I'll post pics when I do get the amp and complete the setup, just to show ya it can be done :D

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #21 of 24
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting an HD600 and was thinking that I should get a desktop setup for it. BUT I also have a DIYMod with a P51 which is my main source. I was recently thinking, since I lack the funds, that maybe I should trade my P51 for a desktop amp/dac to be connected to my laptop via USB (using iTunes and ALAC) since I would think something like a big home dac/amp would be able to power the HD600s better and also have better SQ. I also am hesitant about giving up such a nice portable set up though. And now that I read FlatNine's original post about how well his portable setup sounds with his HD650s -- alas I want the best of both worlds. Either a powerful portable amp to power any portable headphone as well as the HD600 or a portable amp/dac that can work with both portable and computer setup. #1 priority is SQ. What do you guys think? I'd appreciate any input and any recommendations. I'm looking for something very transparent and organic sounding. Very natural but not more pricey than my P51. In the same ballpark.

The TTVJ Slim sounds very appealing but I have to agree the output/input on opposite sides doesn't sound appealing, especially for the case I use with my DIYMod + P51. I'm looking forward to those photos digitalsufi! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting an HD600 and was thinking that I should get a desktop setup for it. BUT I also have a DIYMod with a P51 which is my main source. I was recently thinking, since I lack the funds, that maybe I should trade my P51 for a desktop amp/dac to be connected to my laptop via USB (using iTunes and ALAC) since I would think something like a big home dac/amp would be able to power the HD600s better and also have better SQ. I also am hesitant about giving up such a nice portable set up though. And now that I read FlatNine's original post about how well his portable setup sounds with his HD650s -- alas I want the best of both worlds. Either a powerful portable amp to power any portable headphone as well as the HD600 or a portable amp/dac that can work with both portable and computer setup. #1 priority is SQ. What do you guys think? I'd appreciate any input and any recommendations. I'm looking for something very transparent and organic sounding. Very natural but not more pricey than my P51. In the same ballpark.

The TTVJ Slim sounds very appealing but I have to agree the output/input on opposite sides doesn't sound appealing, especially for the case I use with my DIYMod + P51. I'm looking forward to those photos digitalsufi! 
smily_headphones1.gif

In case you weren't aware, the TTVJ also comes in a version that has a DAC. I kind of wish I got that version. As far as the input/output on opposite sides, in reality it doesn't bother me. When I am truly portable, which isn't nearly as much as I thought it would be, I don't use the amp, but just use the Touch with Yuin PK-1's. I don't think I'd ever go for a walk with such big phones (the 650's), not to mention the fact that I'd be walking with a portable rig that was about $1200. But that's just me. :)

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
In case you weren't aware, the TTVJ also comes in a version that has a DAC. I kind of wish I got that version. As far as the input/output on opposite sides, in reality it doesn't bother me. When I am truly portable, which isn't nearly as much as I thought it would be, I don't use the amp, but just use the Touch with Yuin PK-1's. I don't think I'd ever go for a walk with such big phones (the 650's), not to mention the fact that I'd be walking with a portable rig that was about $1200. But that's just me. :)

Yeah  I saw that they have a DAC version which makes me especially interested in it. Do you feel like it drives your HD650s with authority?And agreed, I would never go walking with an HD600 either. That's a bit much. But it would be nice to just have one nice source for a good while until I do more research on a desktop setup/have more space for one/have more money for one.

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
Yeah  I saw that they have a DAC version which makes me especially interested in it. Do you feel like it drives your HD650s with authority?And agreed, I would never go walking with an HD600 either. That's a bit much. But it would be nice to just have one nice source for a good while until I do more research on a desktop setup/have more space for one/have more money for one.

It totally drives them with authority! Even when I'm in the mood for something loud, it more than delivers! Of course, I'm only speaking about the 650's (and I would assume the 600's would be the same). I'm also going to slowly get into desktop gear, but as far as portable stuff, I couldn't be happier. Although the TTVJ was expensive, all the reviews I had read were great. It had the sound I was after, was top quality, and even looked cool, IMO. I figured I rather spend more money just once, than to settle, be unhappy, and end up getting what I really wanted in the first place anyway. That is way more expensive. Not that I've ever done that before.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back