TS02+mic replacement
Mar 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

metman

New Head-Fier
So I've been pretty happy with my TS02+mic IEMs, except for what I consider a design flaw, the square topped housings they have on the cable split and the mic.  These housings catch on damn near everything when in actual real world use, and predictably, the right bud has developed a volume problem that appears to be due to a connection issue in the wire at the top of the mic housing where it gets tugged every time the damn housing catches on something. Are there any suggestions for replacements (sub $100, in-line mic, reasonably good sq), or should I just get another pair and be careful?

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 11
What sound qualities do you prefer in a pair of headphones?  What did you like about the TS02's sound, what didn't you like?  This is your time to be as specific as possible to create a good upgrade. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 11
I like a warmish sound, with a bit of a bass kick, though far from washing out everything else.  Most important though is clarity.  I hate it when details get muddied or washed out, anywhere along the pitch spectrum.  Of course, I know I'm working with a limited number of possibilities given my price range and desire for a mic.  Oh yeah, and it has to play nice with Android, no iPhone only nonsense.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm also considering the UE500vm's now.  I had some SuperFi5Pros a few years ago that I liked and lasted me a long time, so I trust UE, though I don't know how they are after Logitech bought them (though I do like Logitech products too).  I'd like to consider the 600vi's, but they look to be iPhone/BB only.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
I'm also considering the UE500vm's now.  I had some SuperFi5Pros a few years ago that I liked and lasted me a long time, so I trust UE, though I don't know how they are after Logitech bought them (though I do like Logitech products too).  I'd like to consider the 600vi's, but they look to be iPhone/BB only.

SF5s may suit you (this is based on the FR curve though since I haven't heard them personally).  However, the 500s provide a midrange that may seem veiled or covered up.  It lacks in clarity and detailing.  The highs are really soft as well.  An IEM you may want to look at is the Brainwavz M4s.  They offer a more balanced sound over the ThinkSounds with the more balanced bass (although the bass is still strong along with the highs; it's still a V-curve which is essentially what the ThinkSounds represent). 

Another idea would be to buy the Phonak PFE 022 and buy some black filters (if the sound doesn't suit you with greens).  You can try grey ones, but I don't think those would suit you.

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 11
The M4+ looks good, but I'm having trouble finding places where I'm sure they are selling the +, not the one without mic, let alone where they are selling the + for under $100.

How do these filters on the PFE 022 work?  Sounds suspect to me...

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
The M4+ looks good, but I'm having trouble finding places where I'm sure they are selling the +, not the one without mic, let alone where they are selling the + for under $100.

How do these filters on the PFE 022 work?  Sounds suspect to me...

M4s can be found on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Headphones-headset-iPhone-Smartphones/dp/B0068Z9YUS
This is the headset model with the single button remote and mic that is compatible with most Androids.  If it isn't, you can buy the MEE adapter to make it work: http://www.meelec.com/MEE_TRRS_Adapter_for_P_Version_Headphones_p/adptr-trrs-35.htm

The reason you may need an adapter is due to the fact that not all phones follow the same right, left, ground, mic output order on the headphone jack.  In some phones, the mic and ground ports are swapped which requires an adapter.  To clarify, most Apple mics will work with Android (you'll just lose volume use, the center button for play and pause will still work) as long as the jack follows the same order (if it doesn't, you just get the adapter).

As for the 022, there is a tiny filter that goes inside the nozzle.  When you buy filters, you are given a filter changer (which is a tool used to swap filters).  These filters are disposable and allow you to alter the sound of the headphones.  The 0xx and 1xx series use the same drivers, design, etc.  The only difference is that the 0xx series comes with a green bass filter and the 1xx series comes with both the black (low and highs) and grey (mid-range) filters. 

For further reading on either of these IEMs, please take a look at the reviews below:
  1. Brainwavz M4: http://www.ifans.com/blog/33672/
  2. Phonak PFE 022 (AKA PerfectBass): http://www.ifans.com/blog/33185/

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 11
From what I've read, the Phonaks sound like they'd be more to my liking in terms of audio quality, and the hearing aid pedigree is a plus in terms of comfort, however, I read a bunch of reviews saying that they fall apart in no time.  I had that experience with some RE0s I bought, and I'd rather not experience that again.  As to the question on the filters, I was wondering how they actually work in shaping the sound signature, not in terms of how you physically install them on the driver ports.  I just have a hard time believing that a 1/2 cm deep plastic ring can have any appreciable effect.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 11
From what I've read, the Phonaks sound like they'd be more to my liking in terms of audio quality, and the hearing aid pedigree is a plus in terms of comfort, however, I read a bunch of reviews saying that they fall apart in no time.  I had that experience with some RE0s I bought, and I'd rather not experience that again.  As to the question on the filters, I was wondering how they actually work in shaping the sound signature, not in terms of how you physically install them on the driver ports.  I just have a hard time believing that a 1/2 cm deep plastic ring can have any appreciable effect.

I think you're reading info on the old batch. That batch is no longer around and the cable problems on the 0xx and 1xx non-existent.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #11 of 11
*runs into the distance screaming* he fell for it! He fell for it! Muhahahahaha! JK, you'll like the Phonaks, if you don't, find some filters :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back