Trying to upgrade my MDR-V6. Help is needed.
Jun 13, 2007 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

don_lee103

Head-Fier
Hello there,
Ive owned my V6 for many months now and I loved it. I would like to upgrade this headphones as I want more clear sound.
Would Grado SR-60 be an upgrade?
What would you recommend under $0-200 price range?
Let me know
Don

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 23
You're going to have a HELL of a time finding something that sounds more clear than the MDR-V6, even the DT880 doesn't sound as clear. The V6 has a ful blown treble emphasis, maybe you should look into the Sony SA line (SA1000, 3000, 5000).

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of music do you listen to? Would you prefer open or closed?

I listen to many types of music including ballad, rock, classical, R&B.
I prefer closed headphones but audio quality is more important than this.

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're going to have a HELL of a time finding something that sounds more clear than the MDR-V6, even the DT880 doesn't sound as clear. The V6 has a ful blown treble emphasis, maybe you should look into the Sony SA line (SA1000, 3000, 5000).

Really? wow.. I didnt realize how good my v6 is.
etysmile.gif
What do you think about AKG K171? My brother has these and he likes them but I dont... apparently buying an amp helps them a lot to produce a better sound. Do you consider going from v6 to k171 as an upgrade?

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 23
iirc the Equation RP-15mc is designed to compete directly with the v6, and the RP-21 is designed to directly crush the mdr-v6.

But I've never heard the v6 so i dunno what the appeal is.

Seek a dealer, audition them in person.

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by don_lee103 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? wow.. I didnt realize how good my v6 is.
etysmile.gif
What do you think about AKG K171? My brother has these and he likes them but I dont... apparently buying an amp helps them a lot to produce a better sound. Do you consider going from v6 to k171 as an upgrade?

I don't know about the K171, but if it's anything like K271 I tried I can't recommend it. That headphone has a pretty terrible bass response. If you change the pads and buy a new cable it improves, but that just seems like a lot of trouble when you could just go for something else.
plainface.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

You're going to have a HELL of a time finding something that sounds more clear than the MDR-V6, even the DT880 doesn't sound as clear.

Comments like these make me want to get the V6.

I'd recommend the RP-21s also. I'm using it more than my SR-60s atm.

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonePusher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comments like these make me want to get the V6.

I'd recommend the RP-21s also. I'm using it more than my SR-60s atm.

I really don't mean to make the V6 sound magical, but it REALLY is a ridiculously clear sounding headphone. This is also it's great downfall, because this treble emphasis is very fatiguing at medium to high volumes.

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 23
The treble emphasis and fatigue is exactly what sent me to Head-fi thirsting for something else in the first place... so I credit the V6 for bringing me here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

I really don't mean to make the V6 sound magical, but it REALLY is a ridiculously clear sounding headphone. This is also it's great downfall, because this treble emphasis is very fatiguing at medium to high volumes.

I have been using the Senn HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT-880 back and forth for a few weeks now, I just listened to my MDR-V6 for the first time in since then, and I was surprised by how good they sound. I do think the HD650 in particular is clearly more enjoyable to listen to, but the V6 is truly a great headphone. I have not heard the Equation product, but the V6's performance isn't going to be crushed very easily.

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

You're going to have a HELL of a time finding something that sounds more clear than the MDR-V6, even the DT880 doesn't sound as clear. The V6 has a ful blown treble emphasis,

X2 -- they are quite good cans -- even without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back