Trying to understand why you'd want the USB option for Bifrost
Sep 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sancor

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Hopefully someone can quickly answer this. I'm thinking of getting a Bifrost Uber as my first foray in the world of DACs and I'm not sure why the additional USB upgrade would be useful. I'm using a MacBook Pro, so I'm thinking I could just connect via the optical output in the headphone jack. Though, I'm sure there must be some reason why one would pay an extra $100 for the USB option - so I figured I'd ask here to make sure I'm not missing something painfully obvious. 

Is the USB upgrade really just for folks who don't have an optical output on their laptops? Or is there something that makes the optical output noisier or otherwise limits signal quality? My curiosity also hopes to find out why the USB upgrade exists if there isn't an obvious benefit.

Thanks,
SC

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 7
USB is much more common than optical S/PDIF out nowadays and almost certainly ino the future.

USB is also technically superior. It's to do with better error correction and timing. This topic has been covered many times in the past. Rather than me explain again look it up if interested. Although to be fair it doesn't really make much, if any, audible difference in practice. Both S/PDIF and USB can provide excellent results.

The main reaon audiophiles have tended to stick with optical S/PDIF is because the optical connection provides isolation from potential ground loops and noise. Again this should not be a problem for USB connections either. Most USB interfaces are galvanically isolated anyway and even if they aren't a simple, cheap dongle solves the problem. If in doubt about this a good place to look for a superior interface (DAC) is from the pro and semi pro suppliers particually those advertised as suitable for connection to PAs or studio gear. i.e,RME. Focusrite, MOTU, Native Instrument, RME etc.

S/PDIF I/O is still worth having as an option. Particularly if you are a gamer and want to connect a console.

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 7
If you have the option to go optical, then it doesn't make sense to upgrade the USB chip. The upgrade is for those who do not have that option. Not long ago Schiit advertised on their site their distaste with USB, but that was before technology caught up with USB's former shortcomings. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back