Trying to tap the collective wisdom of head-fi
Jan 12, 2007 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

terriblepaulz

1000+ Head-Fier
I know it's a long question, but I didn't get much action the first time (thank you milkpowder and yoritomo 79). I need more data. I need more opinions. I posted:

Quote:

Help me decide how to spend my budget

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Budget = $250 tops

Current setup = 4G iPod -> ALO "bling" connector -> PA2V2 -> SR60s

About 75% or more of my usage is stationary with the above setup. But I do occasionally like to use my old Plugs (which was my first upgrade from the dreaded white earbuds) for occasional travel, walking, work around the house, and variety. I usually do not amp the Plugs.

Musical taste is pretty eclectic. I listen to a lot of electronic, hip-hop, and reggae, so I need some bass, but I have been expanding my horizons recently to include more jazz and classical, so I need some flexibility.

Finally, I should add that I will likely be upgrading my source (by iModding my iPod), and amp over the next 12-18 months, as budget allows.

After a lot of time at this forum, and based on my usage, I have narrowed my choices to three options:

Option 1 - spending the whole budget on one set of cans. This will probably mean getting the K701 or the HD600. The dark horse is the new(?) DT770 available from Headroom (although I have not heard any reviews or comments, so chime in on that).

Option 2 - spending approx. $120-$130 on the HD580s, which seem to be the best value right now, AND getting a set of closed cans (AKG k81djs? or maybe k240s?, Beyer dt250s?).

Option 3 - getting the HD580s, and a set of I.E.M.s (prob. a choice between UE super.fi 3s, etymotic er6 or 6i, Westone UM1, Shure E2s, or V-moda Vibes).

I know I can't go wrong with Option 1. But Options 2 and 3 appeal to me because of variety. I have heard nothing but praise for the 580s, esp. at its current price. I have little doubt it will be an obvious upgrade from the SR60. Additionally, I would be getting a second set of "better" cans, with flexibility for different listening situations. Of course this is not true if the upgrade is not substantial. So, the following questions:

- Is it premature to go k701 or HD600 before I upgrade my source and/or amp?

- Will the closed cans I mentioned above, (or any others under $125) be an upgrade from the SR60, or more of a lateral move. And will they allow me to get a taste of the "house sound" of AKG or Beyer.

- Are any of the I.E.M.s I mentioned to be avoided?

Thanks in advance.

bump

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 8
Ummm .. how bout this... you put your $250.00 back in your wallet, then proceed to scroll your cursor towards the 'log out' option, then click!

Get out while you can... It just gets worse!!!
frown.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 8
If possible, get out and try to hear these headphones. You won't know if the 580 or 701 are going to be worthwhile unless you hear them from your source.

I can tell you from experience that the PA2v2 does a decent job with the K701, but lackluster when compared to the Hornet. The difference was astounding. Prior to the Hornet, the K701 was uninvolving - a common adjective used by those who don't like them. Adding the Hornet, they rock, plain and simple.

Honestly, you already have a pretty good setup. I think you'd likely find better value by sampling some higher end closed options, simply for the versatility they add in transit.

Go hear some cans - an upgrade is an upgrade, but make sure it's going to be worth it first.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ummm .. how bout this... you put your $250.00 back in your wallet, then proceed to scroll your cursor towards the 'log out' option, then click!

Get out while you can... It just gets worse!!!
frown.gif

Good advice. Still, if you refuse to take it, make sure you are using lossless compression or no compression.

As to upgrading: (a) I don't know what you think sounds good and (2), your set up isn't really going to improve that much for what you want to spend.

Save your money for now. You have a good set up and, bonus, you don't need to amp your 60s. If you want sound suppression- E4c would be my favorite at $189, and has the best chance of fitting comfortably.

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm not sure what it is exactly you're looking for. If you just want a better overall sound and are happy with your SR60s, I'd get some SR-225s.
I don't know how well your amp would drive the HD-600s or 580s. I'm guessing that with that amp and source you'd be just as well off with the 580s, but be warned, the 580s are 180 degrees out from the SR60s.
The best advice is to try to get somewhere where you can hear them. For instance, you have the 701s on your list. I try not to bash any headphones but I just can't like these. They obviously have their many fans on here. You may be one, you may not. You have to hear them to find out.

Jan 12, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 8
DevilDog said:

Quote:

the 580s are 180 degrees out from the SR60s.

This is cool. While I love the sound of the SR60s (my first "real" headphone), I want to check out the Sennheiser sound (and the AKG sound etc.).

GlendaleViper said:

Quote:

an upgrade is an upgrade, but make sure it's going to be worth it first

That's kind of the point of my (poorly asked) question. Given my current setup, 580s should be an obvious upgrade, right? And if I get to sample another brand or style of 'phone, even better. It sounds like I just convinced myself.

Viper also said:

Quote:

you'd likely find better value by sampling some higher end closed options

Any suggestions from anybody?

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruppin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As to upgrading: (a) I don't know what you think sounds good and (2), your set up isn't really going to improve that much for what you want to spend.

I vote tomahawk amp
cool.gif

Very noticable difference from the PA2V2... Plus if you decide to go the IEM route, you have a perfect amp!

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 8
From the way I see it, you already have a portable amp, so why not get it out and about? Closed headphones and IEMs really do help the overall portable experience. If you decide to go with closed cans, there are some excellent options out there:

Sennheiser HD25-1: I am currently smitten with this one, and you can find them used for a good price (retail is hefty). Built like a tank, great isolation and fantastic sound, though not completely exempt from the closed headphone signature. They're 70ohms but highly sensitive, so great with or without an amp.

Other common options (pardon the lack of detail, I have little experience with closed headphones):

Beyerdynamic DT250/80
Sony MDR-7506/MDR-V6
Beyerdynamic DT770/80 or the 2005 editions
AKG 271S
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Utrasone iCans
Ultrasone PROline 650 and 750

[EDIT] Forgot many of Audio-Technica's offerings! Please don't shoot!
biggrin.gif

My line of thinking here is that going closed will give you an opportunity to enjoy the gear you already have, but also let it excel in a different scenario (the loud outdoors). If you like the experience, it will help you in the future when perhaps you have a little more money to make an upgrade a little more appreciable.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back