Trying to rip music...help for a beginner???
Jun 27, 2005 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, so I may be the last 31yr old in CA to buy a computer for the first time but I've worked on one in the office for years if that counts for anything!

It doesn't take much to figure out that everything is done on the computer and then transferred into the MP3 player but I am a bit lost here.

Question 1. Can the "genre" field be changed to list artists (i.e. Rock=artist) (alphabeticly) instead of every song in a specific category??

Question 2. When creating a playlist do you just go to the left and side of the screen and highlight the specific playlist to add to "Sync" to transfer the whole list?? Also if you later add additional songs to the same playlist what is the best way to update it in the mp3 player??

I am using Windows Media (for now) and am just trying to transfer a good part of my large music collection for better portability.

Any help is appreciated and I am open to any other suggestions... thanks!

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 7
*bump

c'mon someone has to know...

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Getting the music from your computer to your MP3 player depends on what kind of player you have. You first have to use some software to change the cd into the MP3 -or whatever format you player supports. Your player should have come with some instructions on how to transfer music to it. What kind of player do you have?

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 7
I have the Iriver H10 20gb and it takes WMA so it seems that I can transfer straight in (I've already done a few and it seems to be fine).

I'm just having trouble figuring out how to tweak the lists or the way they populate info.

I want it to be like a regular music store when you look under "genre" and "rock" it is alphabetized by artist (entire album) not "rock" and every rock song stored alphabetized.

I may just need to spend some more time playing with it

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 7
http://www.misticriver.net/boards/files/File_FAQ.php

http://www.misticriver.net/boards/sh...ad.php?t=23172

Here are a couple of threads on misticriver that might help you. If you haven't found Misticriver yet check it out. Its a great site for everything IRiver. There will be folks there who can help you figure out exactly how to set up your file tree as you want it.

I have the hp120 & 320 & these show up as a separate hard drive on your pc & you can just drag & drop your files organized any way you like. But I'm not sure how the Hxx series works to set up your files. Sorry to not be of more help.

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 7
If you want to keep things simple and you're running Windows XP, you can rip your CDs with Windows Media Player.

1. Run Window Media Player.
2. Click the tab "Rip"
3. Insert your CD
4. Windows Media Player will download the CD info
5. Click "Rip Music" and your CD will be ripped to your My Music folder (I'm pretty sure).

That's about it. If you go into WMP's options menu, you can play with the different settings like encoding quality. Feel free to PM me if you need more help.

Actually, I think if you insert your CD, Windows will recognize it and show you a window with different actions you can choose from. Rip CD with WMP should be one of the options. In that case, you can skip to step 4 above.

Personally, I use EAC + LAME which is an easy to use combination but there is a little bit of a learning curve to set up (not a big deal but a little more complicated than using WMP).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back