Trying to "Ride the IEM Dragon" on a Budget? Looking for suggestions.
Mar 13, 2023 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RobotAxle

New Head-Fier
A friend of mine once let me listen to some tracks using his Kinera Nannas on an OPPO HA-2 and to say that the experience was short of spiritual is an understatement. I know we all experience sound differently but those IEMs just hit different for me and some songs literally brought out some emotions I was not ready for.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get close to that level of audio euphoria short of dropping $1k or more? I've researched a lot of IEMs over the years and haven't pulled the trigger on any for fear of regretting my purchase.

I currently use Starfields with a Topping NX4, but since the DAC on the NX4 went out on me, I'm back to searching for an upgrade for both a portable DAC/AMP and my ideal IEM. I listen to a lot of different genres, but mainly have soundtracks, jazz, and rock on repeat.

Current IEMs I have my eyes on are:
- Tansio Mirai Sands/Lands
- Moondrop Variations
- ThieAudio Oracle MKii
- DUNU SA6 (would say the SA6 Ultra is an option after watching everyone's "favorite audophile reviewer" say his collab IEMs are enough to bring tears to a person - but I take what he says with a grain of salt)

Any recommendations in the 200-500 range?

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 6
A friend of mine once let me listen to some tracks using his Kinera Nannas on an OPPO HA-2 and to say that the experience was short of spiritual is an understatement. I know we all experience sound differently but those IEMs just hit different for me and some songs literally brought out some emotions I was not ready for.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get close to that level of audio euphoria short of dropping $1k or more? I've researched a lot of IEMs over the years and haven't pulled the trigger on any for fear of regretting my purchase.

I currently use Starfields with a Topping NX4, but since the DAC on the NX4 went out on me, I'm back to searching for an upgrade for both a portable DAC/AMP and my ideal IEM. I listen to a lot of different genres, but mainly have soundtracks, jazz, and rock on repeat.

- Moondrop Variations
- ThieAudio Oracle MKii
- DUNU SA6 (would say the SA6 Ultra is an option after watching everyone's "favorite audophile reviewer" say his collab IEMs are enough to bring tears to a person - but I take what he says with a grain of salt)

If you do some research you will find that the original Oracle is considered superior to the Oracle II. I have the originals and really like them.

Another couple of mid-Fi options for you to consider would be the Seeaudio x Crinacle Midnight, and the Aful Performer 5. These are well below $500 - you could get both the Midnight and Performer 5 for $500 - with change left over for a decent dinner for 2.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 6
I have TSMR Sands and Moondrop Variations.
I suggest you don't blind buy Sands because they are very bright, unless thats your cup of tea (same could apply for Oracle mk2). Don't think you can go wrong with Variations as they are generally recognized as very good IEMs with safe tuning.

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 6
I use the Truthear Zero and Yincrow X6 and wouldnt change a thing. The Sound Blaster X1 works great if your phone has a good battery. With the Moto G Power it's a great match. At their prices, I use them everywhere. The Zero is best on an amp with some current, but the X6 is the take everywhere pair.

Mar 19, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 6

- Moondrop Variations
- ThieAudio Oracle MKii

Topping G5 paired with AFUL P5 or Orchestra Lite, depending on your taste.

In my Orchestra Lite review, I have a detailed comparison between these two

The G5 would get rid of the need for DAP, desktop DAC/amp, and bluetooth DAC/amp. I use it for gaming with the switch via bluetooth as well. Alright for casual single player games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back