Trying to replace 3.5mm connector. Do you know which electrical component to buy?
Jan 19, 2017 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Masterofcakes

New Head-Fier
So the 3.5mm jack connector in my Phillips Fidelio X1s broke. I managed to dissect the thing, only to realise that I don't know exactly what I'm doing. I am specifically having problems figuring out how to find a jack connector that can replace the broken one.

You can see what it looks like below. A simple audio connector with Left, right and ground, mounted on a circuit board:

1. Is there any way to find that exact jack connector, so it matches the circuit board? (From a site inside EU, maybe http://www.mouser.dk/?)
  2. Or is buying a new jack connector and circuit board a possibility? Taking into consideration that screw holes and such have to match?

If any other specifications are needed, I have a camera and a digital caliper at my disposal.

And thanks.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 9
I can only see two possibilities...one is to contact the manufacturer and hope they will sell you one/offer to repair, or try to DIY a more readily available 3.5 that will need to be installed by you in a "best fit" scenario.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 9
yikes... that looks pretty proprietary... hmm  I think you should contact phillips support and see if they can provide you with a replacement part..

otherwise.. might be time for modding??

I AM NOT AT ALL SURE THESE WOULD WORK... but maybe ???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/From-OZ-Quality-2PC-3-5mm-Terminal-Solder-Replacement-1-8-Female-Jack-Socket-T3-/142242765554?hash=item211e545af2:g:t30AAOSwu4BVzxPx

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm gonna contact Phillips in hopes that they have the part. They most likely won't have, so I am considering modding it too.

Would there be any issues in soldering the wires directly onto a jack socket? As in not using the circuit board at all.

What glue could I use to hold the thing in place, so that it can withstand being plugged/unplugged?

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 9
Hmm, a screw is a good idea, but I don't think it would fit. The hole is only 5.3 mm in diameter.

The currenct Jack socket housing is around 6 x 6 x 14 mm.

EDIT: I've decided to just drill the hole bigger and maybe use one of these:
  1. 161-7400-EX
  2. 4832.2300
  3. 161-3402-E (has the shortest lenght)

Does impedance matter?

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 9
After several days searching for the OEM product, I finally found it: PJ3549.
Too bad you are required to make a min. order of 10.000 pieces.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around ordering 9.999 pieces too many?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back