Trying to Recall an Old Pair of Sennheisers
Oct 12, 2007 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rmance

New Head-Fier
Been lurking around here the last couple weeks, figured this post would be a good coming out party for me.

Many years ago, back when I was in high school, my parents got me what they considered a "good" pair of headphones. They were Sennheisers, approximate value $150 retail, and shortly after getting them I destroyed them. I picked up a pair of $15 ones from a flea market that I thought sounded as good or better. I've always been curious as to how good they actually were, but I'll be damned if I can even find a picture of them.

So I thought, hey, maybe Head-Fi can help me name those cans!

They were a pair of supraaural headphones, with an earcup of pure flat-edged foam. The shape of the can was raindrop/oval. They were open. The cord was connected to the left ear via a micro jack, which is where I broke them. Ended up using a stereo mini cable with a mini-to-micro adapter on it for awhile. I think they had a 5 in the model number, but I can't be sure.

I'd be super grateful if someone can help me remember what these headphones were. Any impressions on quality would be great, too.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 12
The 570 and 590 both have similar shape and design to the ones I'm thinking of, however those two are both black whereas my old ones were silver. The 570/590s are also much higher-tech looking, making me think mine were a barebones model. The 570/590s also have foam cups a la the 650s (which I now have), while my old ones were just a single slab of foam, no indentation.

I'm a little honored to have my first post replied to by Fitz. I've seen your AKG collection and was quite impressed. Been thinking of getting a K701 or K1000 as my next pair of high-end 'phones. If the girlfriend will let me, that is.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 12
OMG - these sound just like the HD495's I have right now - the shape- color - style - cable.

These need the foam replaced - but other than that - they are in very good condition.

The sound definately needs an amp to sound really good. A very classic sennheiser sound sig with the deep bass (which is a little too much for me since I am an AKG gal). The rolled off highs and everything fits in the line.

The detail is quite good and the SQ does beat my im716's. The im716's dominate in every other respect as far as I am concerned. They just have the sound that gives a fuzzy feeling.

Detail-wise they are a little better than sr80's.

Overall a very good set of phones.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 12
Ok, maybe HD495? That one looks closer to what you are describing.

If you are to get an AKG, it should be a vintage AKG, because the older ones are much nicer than the current offerings. Most can be easily gotten for under $100, too.

EDIT: Germania beat me to it.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 12
Germania scored it. I looked at the 490s and was thinking "damn that's close." I guess I didn't know what I had back then. I really didn't appreciate those headphones sticking them into a cheap Sony CD player and an SB Audigy. Happy to report I've learned in my later life, though. Still need to get a dedicated amp, but my MacBook Pro seems able to power the 650s enough for the time being.

Fitz, which AKG would you recommend? I'm kind of spoiled by the HD650 sound quality now, so I need ones that can compare.

I've been telling my girlfriend (who is currently browsing Head-Fi on her laptop for Koss UR-40 mods) that if we get married, she needs to let me have a nice little room for headphone listening with a good collection of 5-10 pairs. To me, it's my dream of heaven. But one piece of equipment at a time.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 12
I'd recommend the K240 Sextett. It is one of my favourites, and it seems like most people who hear it really enjoy it, unlike some of the other models where there are more mixed impressions (even if I do disagree with them).

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 12
$84 on Amazon. Now I just need to arrange a trip down to the States to pick 'em up. I think I might order them in a few months, then. Just to have.

Thanks a lot.

This community is the most welcoming one I've ever seen. It's fantastic.

Oct 13, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 12
Heh. Thanks, Fitz.

I may have found a pair of 240 Sextetts today that a co-worker has but doesn't use. If she can find them, she's willing to sell them to me. No rush on it, but kinda psyched that worked out so fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back