Trying to make sense out of all those FiiO IEM.
Apr 15, 2018 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nort ycagel

100+ Head-Fier
I remember buying EX1 some years back and being really pleased with it. Soundstage and clarity were incredible for the price.

After my 1More 1001 broke some months ago I've tried the Fiio F9 Pro and the Shure SE425.
Since both disappointed me I was thinking of trying the second generation of the EX1, the EX1 MkII.

Turns out that, given the positioning in the Fiio lineup, they should be outperformed by the FH1, which should be outperformed by the F9 and then by the F9 pro that I disliked.

Is that how it works? Am I missing something?

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't really agree with the word outperformed because all IEMs/headphone would have their unique sound signature and it is highly subjective to personal preference. If you were saying about the spec then it is fine but definitely a no-no for sound signature :)

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 7
Each of them has a different character and your preferences play the bigger role.

If you've liked the FiiO EX1 go for the FiiO F5, as it has a similar design (very big - 13.6mm - full range titanium driver).
I like it very much with the bi-color tips. You get the latest version of the expansive and detailed yet cohessive sound signature, with improved isolation relative to EX1 and EX1II and also detacheable cables.

FiiO FH1 is an hybrid design which has more powerful bass than FiiO F5 and different treble characteristics due to having a balanced armature.
All in all, it offers a more lively/energetic sound relative to the more neutralish / more HD650-like FiiO F5.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 7
I don't really agree with the word outperformed because all IEMs/headphone would have their unique sound signature and it is highly subjective to personal preference. If you were saying about the spec then it is fine but definitely a no-no for sound signature :)
Fair enough.

Each of them has a different character and your preferences play the bigger role.

If you've liked the FiiO EX1 go for the FiiO F5, as it has a similar design (very big - 13.6mm - full range titanium driver).
I like it very much with the bi-color tips. You get the latest version of the expansive and detailed yet cohessive sound signature, with improved isolation relative to EX1 and EX1II and also detacheable cables.

FiiO FH1 is an hybrid design which has more powerful bass than FiiO F5 and different treble characteristics due to having a balanced armature.
All in all, it offers a more lively/energetic sound relative to the more neutralish / more HD650-like FiiO F5.

I think I'll try the EX1 mk2 since I've read that the F5 has more mature but less engaging sound.

Honestly, the earbuds world is really crazy. I tried so many more expensive models that gave me much less satisfaction than >100eur ones.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Fair enough.

I think I'll try the EX1 mk2 since I've read that the F5 has more mature but less engaging sound.

Honestly, the earbuds world is really crazy. I tried so many more expensive models that gave me much less satisfaction than >100eur ones.

I own both (FiiO EX1II and FiiO F5)
I can try them later and share a few words about how they compre.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Please do! :)

Well, I must say I've easily preferred the FiiO F5 over the FiiO EX1II.
The F5 has a more full bodied sound that's more along the lines of what you get with quality full size headphones. It's also clearer in terms of vocal rendering and presence, and smoother, less 'trebly' in the upper registers for a more natural presentation. EX1II is a good sounding IEM, but not on par with the F5 to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back