trying to make a ipod LOD, (what do u think?
Apr 6, 2009 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stevenjchang

500+ Head-Fier
Apr 6, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Don't do it man. Get the parts and start from scratch. Then you'll have clean terminals for soldering, everything will fit, and honestly, they're not that expensive. The dock plugs are like $3, and there's nothing else you'd re-use on that cheap cable anyway.

False economy there, and in fact a lot more work.

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 7
Apr 7, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 7
I agree with the everyone else, buy a few incase you make mistakes. Since it's your first project, nonetheless first soldering project, its a good recommendation. unfortunately both qables and ridax are out of the us so you'd end up paying about $10 for shipping and wait a little over a week. I've ordered from ridax and it took about 6 business days (a week and about a day). I've got a couple of connectors (E type from ridax) left over, let me know if you want to buy them to save time and shipping cost.

Additionally, if this is your first project don't forget to take the following into account:
1. Soldering pencil + solder
2. Wires
3. Plugs
4. Techflex, what's a home made cable without techflex

the cost tends to add up. I know a lot of folks turn to DIY to try and save cash, but if you're getting into DIY because it's cheaper... trust me it's not cheaper. Screwing up multiple times is part of the diy experience and if you add up the cost of your time and cost of parts you end up realizing that it's not worth it. on the other hand if your motivation is to learn a new skill and get that pride of making something from scratch... well then its absolutely worth it! But do it right, look into the things I mentioned above before even committing to buy the ipod dock connectors.

Apr 7, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 7
thanks everyone, VERY HELPFUL

to answer your question: both
i want to save money, but i also want to learn.

i'm interested in recabling my HPs, and since i've never done it before i was thinking about starting with an lod, mini to mini, and ksc75s

i'm short, i eventually want to do my own amps (cheap amps), like a portable and maybe a tube. I'd rather do that then buy. for money, ofcourse, but also just as a hobby. but reading all the DIY confuses me, so i'm just trying to get my feet wet with small stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back