Trying to help a friend
Feb 1, 2012 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SkitZ0

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.  Back again with yet another question.

I'm trying to introduce my friend into the audiophile world, but considering I'm still a noob myself, I don't want to direct him to purchase a pair of headphones without getting advice from you all first.  Basically, he's like me.  Loves the bass but wants a good pair of headphones.  However, unlike me, his main genre isn't Electronic.  He'll listen to anything.  He's narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and the Ultrasone DJ-1 S-Logic (the cans I own).  With one being almost a full $100 more on Amazon, I would like to know what you guys would recommend him.  He likes my Ultrasone headphones, but there's no point in him spending the extra $100 if he doesn't need to.

UPDATE:

Audio Technica M50's vs. AKG K271MkII

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 9
If he wants accentuated bass, the HD280 Pro isn't really for him. However, something bassy may ruin wider genres if overdone (a Klipsch Reference One, for example, ruins anything indie or acoustic with too much bass).

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 9
True.  Do you think the M50's or a pair of Shure headphones would do well?  Personally I would recommend my headphones if they weren't $50 more than what I paid for them right now.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
True.  Do you think the M50's or a pair of Shure headphones would do well?  Personally I would recommend my headphones if they weren't $50 more than what I paid for them right now.

The M50 is pretty much a standard for a first-time all-rounder. It's got plenty of bass impact but the bass is never overwhelming, and I find it pleasurable with almost all genres. Though I've long moved on to "higher" cans, I still use them regularly as a portable. They also don't need an amp to sound good.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
The M50 is pretty much a standard for a first-time all-rounder. It's got plenty of bass impact but the bass is never overwhelming, and I find it pleasurable with almost all genres. Though I've long moved on to "higher" cans, I still use them regularly as a portable. They also don't need an amp to sound good.

Have you heard the Ultrasone DJ1 cans? He really likes those, and I'm wondering if the bass in the M50's won't be significantly less than those.  He's a basshead like myself, but he doesn't want the bass to drown out everything.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 9
The M50 is definitely bass-light compared to the DJ1, but I'm afraid that something extremely bassy would ruin his genres.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 9
I just remembered that one of the things I dislike about my cans is the fact that they distort at high volumes.

So now I want to direct him to either the M50's from Audio Technica or the AKG K271MkII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back