Trying To Find The Right Fit For My Needs (Yuin PK2 vs. PK3)
May 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AZ Greg

New Head-Fier
Need some help yet again. (If you don't want to read the whole post then please skip down to the questions, thanks!)

I made a thread a couple of months ago looking for some advice on IEMs. My criteria was something $80 or under and it needed to sound good with both music and videos (Movies, TV shows, Anime, etc...). These IEMs would be replacing my PX100s which, despite not being Audiophile headphones, I was completely satisfied with in terms of sound. Unfortunately, the fit of the PX100s just didn't work for me and I wanted something even more portable.

Over the past few weeks I've tried out 3 different IEMs that I decided to pick up based on testimonials from here and research I did on my own. The Nuforce NE-7Ms, the Denon AH-C551, and the Apple Dual Driver IEMs (In that order). Straight out of the box the NE-7Ms impressed me musically, but for whatever reason they fell flat with videos. Vocals sounded hollow and every scene in a video felt as if the characters talking were at the end of an empty hall. It seems others also have complaints with the vocal presentation on these IEMs. The Denons were better with videos, but suffered musically. They were just a mess and very harsh. Of the three, these were clearly a few levels below the others to my ears. Finally, there were the Apples. These were the one pair that gave me a sound I was satisfied with both musically and for videos. Unfortunately, they don't fit in my ears very well. They are the one IEM which make me feel like I need a different size tip for my two ears. After trying the Sony Hybrid tips and still not finding success I decided to give up on them and IEMs in general, for now.

I decided to research some clip-ons and some earbuds. Naturally, I ran into all the praise for the Yuin PK line. The PK1s are out of my price range so I immediately dismissed them leaving me with the choice between PK2s and PK3s. This is where I need your help. It is my understanding that the PK3s are more bass-y and fun whereas the PK2s are more analytical. So is it fair to say that the PK3s are somewhat like the PX100s and the PK2s are somewhat like the ADDIEMS? As you can see, it seems like I could like both models and that is why I'm so confused. So here are my questions for PK owners both past and present (Hopefully both the PK2s and PK3s).

- Which pair works better with videos (Movies, TV shows, Anime, etc...)?

- I could be wrong but I would assume the supposed increased detail of the PK2s would benefit videos. However, I have also read that they are "airy." That is the same thing I read about the NE-7Ms and I was greeted with the hollow sounding vocals I mentioned earlier. Is this a problem with PK2s + videos?

- I have a FiiO E5 which I would think would benefit the PK2s more since they seem to have less bass than the PK3s. However, I have read more people praising the E5s help with regards to the PK3s as compared to the PK2s. Just wanted to mention this so you guys could keep it in mind that I have an E5 when making your suggestions.

- I have read some say that the PK2s are harsh. This is something I'm not a fan of. Of course I could simply be confusing it with IEM sibilance. How do these two pairs do with harshness?

- Finally, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to these last two questions but here goes: The PK3s have been switched to a "Y" cable correct? And Head-Direct will refund within 30 days if you aren't satisfied correct?

As you can see, I'm mostly concerned with video performance, but that is only because my headphone use is split about 60/40 in favor of videos. Balance is what I'm after, not one that is only good with music or one that is only good with videos. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help!

May 20, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Greg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are the one IEM which make me feel like I need a different size tip for my two ears. After trying the Sony Hybrid tips and still not finding success I decided to give up on them and IEMs in general, for now.

I decided to research some clip-ons and some earbuds.

Have you tried Comply T-130s (or others that fit), or Shure olives for the ADDIEM? I am using olives and like them. I tried T-400s with a spacer, but think the olives sound better to me. Maybe a last ditch effort for the ADDIEM.

I have never had the PK2 and my PK3 has been out on loan for what seems like forever. I have not listened to video with the PK3, or used the E5, so I can't answer those questions. But from what I have read, you would probably be happier with the PK3 and the extra cash!

Edit: And who said the NE-7 was airy? I think the soundstage is wide, but lacks 3D (which is good for some music, and bad for other music). Also, I know the PK3 is much more airy than the NE-7.

May 20, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried Comply T-130s (or others that fit), or Shure olives for the ADDIEM? I am using olives and like them. I tried T-400s with a spacer, but think the olives sound better to me. Maybe a last ditch effort for the ADDIEM.

I have never had the PK2 and my PK3 has been out on loan for what seems like forever. I have not listened to video with the PK3, or used the E5, so I can't answer those questions. But from what I have read, you would probably be happier with the PK3 and the extra cash!

Edit: And who said the NE-7 was airy? I think the soundstage is wide, but lacks 3D (which is good for some music, and bad for other music). Also, I know the PK3 is much more airy than the NE-7.

Never tried the Complys. But honestly, with the way my ears seem to generate wax, I'd probably end up spending a ton of money keeping those around. I think I'm just soured on IEMs right now and that's why I'm looking into the Yuins.

I'm starting to think I'll be fine with the PK3s, but I wish someone who owns them or the PK2s could tell me how they perform with videos before I pull the trigger.

May 21, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 6
While I can't answer most of your questions, I can attest to the positive synergy of the PK3's with an E5. With my sansa e2xx as a source, I can only hear hiss with the amp turned up all the way, and I can't actually listen like that.

I have also used the pk3s for things like movies, although not from a portable device (unless you count my eee pc). They sound fine to me, but I do not have a great setup for watching movies with headphones (using built-in audio chipset and an e5).

May 21, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I can't answer most of your questions, I can attest to the positive synergy of the PK3's with an E5. With my sansa e2xx as a source, I can only hear hiss with the amp turned up all the way, and I can't actually listen like that.

I have also used the pk3s for things like movies, although not from a portable device (unless you count my eee pc). They sound fine to me, but I do not have a great setup for watching movies with headphones (using built-in audio chipset and an e5).

Thanks for the response.

I guess I should have clarified what I'll be using the earphones with. My iPod Touch 2G and my PC. Just a standard integrated sound card with the PC. So, my setup isn't anything special. Oh, and of course the E5.

May 21, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 6
I do not have any problems watching movies with the pk3's from the integrated sound card (Realtek "HD" Audio = lol) in my pc. Can't say anything about ipod touch->e5->pk3 though, since I dont have an ipod, but it probably sounds better than my sansa.

However, if you plan to have the e5 plugged into a usb port for charging while listening (on your pc), some users (me included) experience static and electrical noises (especially while moving the mouse) due to your USB ports being an 'unclean' power source. I just use a $5 AC->USB adapter to get around this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back