Trying to find the perfect over-ear headphones to invest in
Sep 22, 2014 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

joeytbdm

New Head-Fier
Hi. I'm looking for a pair of over-ear headphones purely to wear at home while I'm working/listening to music on my PC laptop and maybe my Nexus 5. I have earbuds for my commute, but I've been using them at home as well and I'm beginning to feel a lot of discomfort from wearing them all day. I would like headphones that are over-ear, quite comfortable, great quality audio (good mid, super crisp and clear treble; bass is less important for me) WITHOUT an amp, and ideally on the smaller side as well (physically)... Oh, and my budget is $200 CAD. Is there a pair out there for me? So far I haven't had any luck or simply got confused with all the technical stuff, which is where I hope you guys/girls will come in. Thanks.

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 21
I really like my Yamaha PRO 400's but they're a little bit large. My Beats Solo 2's are small, slim and very comfy but on ear.

Good luck with your search.

-Dave
L3000.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 21
Those are way too outside of my price range, but thanks for the suggestion, I never considered Yamaha. I'm also absolutely not interested in Beats; I don't like the idea of paying more for the same sound quality.

In my search I have seen people talking about the Audio Technica MH-50s quite a lot. Do those fit my criteria well? How good do they sound without an amp?

I've also noticed the M40s... They seem to have better value and apparently a flatter sound, which I like.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 21
Both my Yamaha and Beats are under $200 new. My Audio Technica ATHWS55BK run around $80 but they need an amp and according to reviews on Amazon the MH-50s need one too if your running them on a phone or mp3 player.

Don't blow off Beats just because of all the bad reviews you hear about them. I'd say the majority of negative reviews are from people who don't even own Beats. I had a pair Beats Mixr's and I've yet to hear anything that sounds better than they did. The only negative thing about the Mixr's you'll hear from people who own them are that they're very uncomfortable and hurt your ears so I got a refund on mine from Target. I did notice a slight bit of sound loss with the Solo 2's immediately after swithching but the comfort difference was worth it. And they were about $50 cheaper. They're going for $197 on Amazon right now.

-Dave

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #5 of 21
I see your point, but Beats just don't seem have the sound profile that I'm looking for if anything. I've read that they have boosted bass but lack in treble, whereas I would prefer the opposite.

Oh, I guess it would help if I said what music I listen to (while the headphones would be used for gaming and whatnot occasionally, I am much more concerned with how they will sound with music). I'll list some albums I listen to.

The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual
Modern Day Babylon - Travelers
Madvillian - Maddvilliany
Periphery - Periphery II
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
The Ocean - Pelagial
Behemoth - The Satanist

That's enough I think. So I guess I listen to a wide variety, so I would want balanced headphones?

Sep 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 21
well, the beats mixr sound lifeless to me, with grainy sound, sucked out mids and bass with no extension. I have definitely heard better.

There is something called the ATH-M50x now, which is the newer model, and it has less piercing treble and less bloated mid bass and more extended sub bass than the old M50

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 21
I see your point, but Beats just don't seem have the sound profile that I'm looking for if anything. I've read that they have boosted bass but lack in treble, whereas I would prefer the opposite.

Oh, I guess it would help if I said what music I listen to (while the headphones would be used for gaming and whatnot occasionally, I am much more concerned with how they will sound with music). I'll list some albums I listen to.

The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual
Modern Day Babylon - Travelers
Madvillian - Maddvilliany
Periphery - Periphery II
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
The Ocean - Pelagial
Behemoth - The Satanist

That's enough I think. So I guess I listen to a wide variety, so I would want balanced headphones?

Whether or not a balanced headphone would work well depends on you. Do you remember any past headphones you have liked?

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 21
I've only ever used earbuds and the only pair I've been satisfied with are the pair I'm using now. They're Sony in-ears. I can't remember the exact model and can't seem to find them online, though. I'd check if I were home. Sony is the only brand I'm familiar with, so I could possibly like any other brand.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 21
well, the beats mixr sound lifeless to me, with grainy sound, sucked out mids and bass with no extension. I have definitely heard better.

There is something called the ATH-M50x now, which is the newer model, and it has less piercing treble and less bloated mid bass and more extended sub bass than the old M50

I've heard good things about the ATH-M50x but the bad part is that it has a proprietary cable connection to the headphone which means a standard cable with 3.5mm connectors on each end will not work without an additional adapter. They were my next choice but due to the cable issue I chose the Yamaha instead.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 21
I've only ever used earbuds and the only pair I've been satisfied with are the pair I'm using now. They're Sony in-ears. I can't remember the exact model and can't seem to find them online, though. I'd check if I were home. Sony is the only brand I'm familiar with, so I could possibly like any other brand.

I think you should get something with extra bass (not basshead levels) just to be safe.
Pretty much every headphone mentioned in this thread fits (possibly aside from the m40)

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 21
Why would you say to rule out the M40s? I'm attracted to the price point...

The m40 is supposed to be a lot more neutral than the m50. If that is really true, it can't really fall into the extra bass category.
Some other cans to consider at that price range (still neutral):
Koss prodj100 with m50 pads
Nvx xpt100/brainwavz hm5/lindy hf100 (same sound)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back