Trying to find an LP, advice on where to look plz
Dec 10, 2006 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Porksoda

500+ Head-Fier
Hey All,

I am trying to find a recording of The Planets, featuring Stokowski conducting the Los Angeles Phil. My dad said he used to have the recording when he was a young man, one of his favorites, but he lost it. The particular pressing he had had a cover with a nebula and Stokowski's head superimposed over the nebula. In any case I am trying to find a copy in good condition, preferably vinyl, and I don't even know where to start looking. Advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

'soda
rs1smile.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 4
Gah, I forgot to pop back on and thank you guys for your help! I never got into hte eBay scene, so no I didn't try them in my initial search. I ended up buying this copy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3012&rd=1&rd=1

I just barely got this in time for christmas so I only got a quick look at it before I gave it to my pops, but when I first took it out of the box I was a bit disappointed. The record was placed in the jacket next to the inner sleeve, not inside of it like it is supposed to be. Moreover, once out of the jacket it had probably 6 or so large fingerprints on the surface and a hairline scratch that covered most of one movement. To my dismay when I played it with my dad it popped through almost all of Saturn, his favorite movement
mad.gif

Other than that it was a generally good recording. A bit noisy at the beginning of each side but reasonably quiet for the rest, except as noted before. The jacket had minimal signs of ringwear on the back. The seller described the recording as between mint and excellent. Now I am a newbie with vinyl, so for a mono recording from (I think) the 60s I am not sure if my expectations are unreasonable.

Thanks,

'soda

Users who are viewing this thread

Back