Trying to explore European jazz
May 16, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say it's always a bit funny to me that folks are still taking shots at Wynton…at this point he's too easy a target and I think anyone who pays a little attention to jazz realized a loonnnngggg time ago that there's much contemporary jazz in the U.S.A. that has absolutely nothing to do with his orbit.

I'm not saying that Wynton encompasses American jazz at all. Rather, I'm suggesting that, in a time when American jazz is being appraised and received as a canonical heritage that must be preserved from corruption and dilution, Wynton and his crew are acknowledged to be the semi-official curators and gatekeepers. Hey, I'm a traditionalist myself--I'm not manning the barricades or threatening to burn anybody's bra or sousaphone. I have just started to feel like the things that the Kennedy Center crew release are a little smug and sterile: not fully conserving but not really innovating either.

'And I'm a jazz conservative. I'll listen to stride piano all day long.

Quote:

Umm, not sure, but are you offhandedly suggesting that the rhythm section is too important in American jazz? All I can say to that is, "Yikes!!"

It was a silly reference to an old They Might Be Giants tune about what happens to visionary musical innovators who encounter the realities of the music biz.
For everyone with dollar-signs
In his eyes
There must be hundreds
Who look at you
As if you're some-kinduv
Rhythm Section Want-ad
--No Others Need Apply
To the Rythm Section Want-ad
I'll tell you why.

Quote:

All that said, last night I finally got the chance to hear a fantastic drummer I discovered on an ACT disc a couple of years ago: Ramon Lopez. He's from Spain, and he was on a gig with the pianist Agustí Fernandez and the British bassist Barry Guy. Lopez used many of the expanded things drummers do nowadays (alternating hand-percussion with stick work, playing brushes), but his sense of timing was truly his own. A musician who'd played with him before said to me later, "Yeah, Ramon doesn't play drums…he plays Ramon." That's about as good a recommendation as I can give.

I was always knocked-out by Jorge Rossi, the Spanish drummer who played on Brad Mehldau's first albums. Rossy has been a phenomenally nuanced drummer who channels the subdued energies of classic bossa nova rhythms. I saw him play with Mehldau twice and thought that Rossi was at least as subtly talented as the pianist.

May 16, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just started to feel like the things that the Kennedy Center crew release are a little smug and sterile: not fully conserving but not really innovating either.

True, but do you mean "Lincoln Center"? The point I was making is that that's not really news.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was always knocked-out by Jorge Rossi, the Spanish drummer who played on Brad Mehldau's first albums. Rossy has been a phenomenally nuanced drummer who channels the subdued energies of classic bossa nova rhythms. I saw him play with Mehldau twice and thought that Rossi was at least as subtly talented as the pianist.

Jorge Rossy is an amazing musician…I much prefer him to Jeff Ballard, Mehldau's current drummer. I was actually lucky enough to catch Jorge before he was with Brad…back in the early '90s I happened to be at the Thelonious Monk Drum Competition when he was a finalist…I think he took second place. The guy who won ended up in Sonny Rollins' band for awhile.

May 16, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, but do you mean "Lincoln Center"? The point I was making is that that's not really news.

Hmm. It's not news to you, and it's not news to me, but I'll bet that you will find a preponderance of casual American jazz listeners who don't know it. There are economic, cultural, and political reasons for why some things are *real* modern jazz, some things are *inauthentic*-faux jazz, and some things are safely jazz *conservation* and can be performed by *anybody*, whether it's at Preservation Hall or your local musical Civil War reenactment. Real jazz must be a living, authoritative thing in the U.S. because proprietorship of it is still bitterly fought over behind the scenes.

Ornette Coleman will be Creative Director of London's Summer Meltdown Meltdown Festival because, the Brits ululate, he's a "jazz legend" and a "genius." He's international in London, where there's no need to establish his cultural-historical dues payments.

Quote:

Jorge Rossy is an amazing musician…I much prefer him to Jeff Ballard, Mehldau's current drummer. I was actually lucky enough to catch Jorge before he was with Brad…back in the early '90s I happened to be at the Thelonious Monk Drum Competition when he was a finalist…I think he took second place. The guy who won ended up in Sonny Rollins' band for awhile.

I agree, Rossi[y?] is amazing. I'm not into percussion, and he's blown me away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back