Trying to discover good rappers
Apr 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

KingOfTheWild

Formerly known as kingalekay.
Hello everyone . . . as the title of this thread says I am trying to find good rappers out there. I know of some but I want to expand my knowledge and discover if you know what I mean. My primary focus right now is discovering good underground and pre-21st century artists but I will take suggestions for non-underground artists and 21st century artists too. I just started looking into underground hip hop because I looked at the thread titled Top 5 Hip Hop Artist of all Time and saw that a lot of people were listing Immortal Technique as one of their top 5 so I looked him up on iTunes and gave him a listen and loved his music.

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 13
... Yeah, he's great ... The following suggestions are also:

Benefit - B.E.N.E.F.I.T.
MF DOOM - Vaudeville Villain, Mmm..Food
Asher Roth - Various Mixtapes
Lupe Fiasco - Revenge of The Nerds [mixtapes (I & II)]
Phonte - Charity Starts At Home
Childish Gambino - Camp

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 13
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides

Digable Planets - Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time And Space)

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 13
I highly suggest Army of the Pharaohs. They are a big group of many different underground rappers and have some of the sickest verses. Here's one of my faves:

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 13
Atmosphere:

Blu & Exile (Blu's solo albums are horrible)

Brother Ali:

Deltron 3030 (or anything with del tha funkee homosapien):

Masta Ace:

Murs:

MF Grimm (you should read his comic, it's brilliant)

P.O.S.:

Sean Price:

And for something completely different, Sole:

x2 on MF DOOM, make sure to check everything (King Geedorah, DANGERDOOM, Viktor Vaughn, Madvillain and DOOM).

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 13
How about,

Big L - Lifestyles of the Poor and Dangerous
Diabolic - Liar and a Thief
Immortal Technique - The Martyr

I just listed my favorite album by those three particular rappers.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 13
Definitely P.O.S., He's one of my favorites, and great live too. I saw Doomtree live at Union Transfer in Philly a little while back, great small venue, Got to shoot the **** with Cecil Otter a bit between sets too.The rest of the Doomtree collective is great too, especially Dessa (although most of her solo works are more R&B type), Check out "Liver Let Die" and "Dots and Dashes",

Atmosphere, Brother Ali, and M.F. Doom are great as well. One of my favorite Rhymesayers lable is Eyedea (Rest in peace), who has an incredible way with words. The world of real hiphop is truly diminished.

In retrospect, I think I just really like the Twin City rap scene.There's a lot of talent in the middle of the country.

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 13
*smiles*

I'm not big into Rap by any means, but I LOVE me some

Dr.Octagon

I think Kool Keith his official name, either way if you haven't listetened to his stuff check it out!

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 13
Sage francis 

Best of times is the finalé of his latest album, Li(f)e, which by all accounts is a lot less angry than previous titles. His albums 'Li(f)e' and 'A Healthy Distrust' are well worth a look.

MF Dooms side project Dangerdoom is ace.

And Eyedea & Abilities get an honourable mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back