Trying to decide on Yamaha CDS-2100
Oct 28, 2015 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mepstein10

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, thanks for looking. I'm trying to decide on which Yamaha CDS-2100 to get, specifically the color. The unit comes in black and silver, and wanted to get some feedback on how the colors deal with oils/fingerprints, etc.

I tend to prefer to get black audio gear, but I've seen a few units with oil/fingerprint transfer, and it looks pretty unappealing. The amp I will be using with it (rogue Cronus Magum II) is black.

If any owners here can give me some advice and their impressions after owning the unit for a while, it'd be greatly appreciated. 

Also, I am set on getting the Yamaha, I managed to snag a brand new unit through a friend who is an authorized dealer for a crazy good deal.

I have attached images of the two colors including the one with oil transfer/finger prints.

Any advice or suggestions would help. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I do not know how old the unit with the oil transfer is, so it could be a unit that was not well taken care of or cleaned, hoping owners who own the Yamaha can shed some light on how easily oil/smudges/fingerprints transfer onto the unit

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 14
Treebug, I did get it.

Honestly I was very impressed. I had an Oppo 105D before and it CRUSHED It! The biggest point it proves, is its not only the DAC that makes a difference but how it is implemented ( it has a ESS 9016 vs ESS 9018 in the oppo).

I was very impressed with the level of detail, though fair warning, if you have a bad recording it will point out every flaw. I have heard details in the track I've never heard before in tracks I owned for years.

The usb DAC functionality is also very good. Pure DSD (not pcm conversion, which is rare.)

So far I've had no issues and been very happy with it. If you have specific questions though feel free to reach out to me.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks Mepstein!

Been trying to find one in silver but apparently Yamaha are out of stock and not producing silver units at the moment. I'm also considering the CD-S3000, which is available in silver strangely, but a bit of a stretch money wise!

It's the detail level that is attracting me to the Yamaha to be honest as I find that is lacking in my current player (Roksan). I plan to connect it direct to my Sennheiser HDVA600 amp, using the Hd800's.

The build quality is another factor. Did you find the black sides mark easily? Are they wood or plastic? 

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks Mepstein!

Been trying to find one in silver but apparently Yamaha are out of stock and not producing silver units at the moment. I'm also considering the CD-S3000, which is available in silver strangely, but a bit of a stretch money wise!

It's the detail level that is attracting me to the Yamaha to be honest as I find that is lacking in my current player (Roksan). I plan to connect it direct to my Sennheiser HDVA600 amp, using the Hd800's.

The build quality is another factor. Did you find the black sides mark easily? Are they wood or plastic? 

Metal. There is no plastic on it except the back of the remote. I used gloves to put it into place, the sides are a very shiny black. So fingerprint magnet, the rest of it matte black, but I use the remote for everything so no oil or fingerprints. Keep in mind this behemoth weighs 35lbs. Build quality is very similar between the two.

I also weighed against the 3000. For the minor differences and improvements, I didn't think the price was justified.

The 2100 came out in 2014, so after the 3000, it took a lot of lessons learned from the 3000. IMO it looks like it was an attempt to bring the sound of 3000 down to a more reasonable level. Many audiophiles don't mind spending 3.5k on a CD player, 8k+? That a little bit of a different matter.

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 14

Thanks, that's given me a few things to consider. I did read elsewhere that the difference in sound between the two is minimal. The glossy sides are a bit of a worry as I'm a bit of a fusspot when it comes to marks!

Another player I have in mind is the Moon Neo 260D which will have a warmer sound I know, but I was concerned it wouldn't retrieve so much detail as the Yamaha. Just read though that it comes (as an option) with the ESS 9016 DAC which you say is in the Yamaha, so maybe it will be as detailed?

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 14
Depends. Just the same DAC does not mean it will be as detailed. Implementing has more effect than the chip themselves.

Checked the Moon Neo 260D. Honestly, wasn't too impressed.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 14

Thanks, that's given me a few things to consider. I did read elsewhere that the difference in sound between the two is minimal. The glossy sides are a bit of a worry as I'm a bit of a fusspot when it comes to marks!

Another player I have in mind is the Moon Neo 260D which will have a warmer sound I know, but I was concerned it wouldn't retrieve so much detail as the Yamaha. Just read though that it comes (as an option) with the ESS 9016 DAC which you say is in the Yamaha, so maybe it will be as detailed?

So did you end up getting a Yamaha? 

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 14

​Hi mepstein. Funny you should ask this week! I went with the Moon Neo player but just this week I've ordered a Yamaha CD-S2100 so I can play my SACD's. I notice you're selling yours.

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 14
Since ordering the CD-S2100 I've read a couple of comments elsewhere that mention a problem with SACD's skipping on this player and the CD-S3000. Did you encounter this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back