Trying to decide on a new pair of headphones that I can take around with me
Mar 14, 2010 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

leonzill

New Head-Fier
Like I said in the title, I'm looking for some new cans to carry around with me. Eventually I'm going to invest in a portable amp (cMoyBB v2.02) but first, I'd like to settle on some headphones.

Right now, I've been lugging around a pair of JVC HARX700s and, needless to say, it gets a bit annoying having such large headphones on the go. I didn't realize how big they are until I had gotten them in the mail.

Anyways, here's a list of some of the models I've been looking at:
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic DT880 (I'm not quite so sure how big these are in real life - are the 660s more manageable? Also, if I do get these, I should get the 600 ohm right?)
Denon AHD 1001K/2000
Shure SRH840
Sony MDR V-6
Ultrasone HFI 780 (I heard these need a powerful source, so I'm not sure about these either.)

I absolutely despise supra-aural headphones, and I break IEMs so quickly you wouldn't believe it, so I'm only willing to get circumaurals. They'll need to be at least semi-closed, and the main genres I listen to are rock (alternative mostly, some hard rock and stuff bordering on metal though) and electronic (electro, drum and bass, and experimental). I don't really have a set budget on these since I've currently got no money to spend - I'm just deciding which pair to save up for now rather than do it later when the money is burning a hole in my wallet. However, I don't really want to go over $400.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 11
Well, both the D2000s and the DT880s aren't the smallest headphones out there...and probably not the easiest to drive, either. These are both great headphones, but if your goal is portability I wouldn't go with either of these.

As for the Ultrasone HFi 780s, I thought these were pretty good headphones for the money, and for the genres you list. They're also very well-built and durable, so if breaking headphones is an issue for you, the Ultrasones might be a good option. I actually thought the Ultrasones sounded just fine straight out of a portable player without an amp, though they do improve somewhat with an amp.

Compare that to the D2000s, which I thought sounded pretty bad unamped, but improved dramatically with good amplification.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 11
Oh yeah if you do decide on the 780's, rmcaudiodirect.com has them new for $187 and I'm pretty sure that's their permanent price. If you find a better price let them know and they'll match it.

Just so you know....
The 780's are also known to be fairly controversial. Some people hate them and some people love them. Honestly, I really liked them when I auditioned them. The highs can be harsh and some say the bass is too much but I didn't have these issues.
I'd probably do a little research on them and maybe go try them out to see if they suit your style. At least from my experience, I'd recommend them but everyone is different so you may not necessarily like them.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 11
When I tried them out, the Ultrasone HFI-780's sounded pretty good out of my netbook. They really don't take too much to power. I would recommend them especially if you enjoy bass.
I have a pair of Denon D2000's and I love them. They are easy to drive (don't really know how they sound with an amp though) but they are definitely not portable.
The Dt800's will need a good amp (the 250 and 600 ohm versions). They are not exactly what I would consider portable either.

I've heard good things about the Denon D1001's, Audio Technica ATH M50's, and Shure SRH840's. I think any of these would be a good choice. Also as Acix said, the HD-25II are very portable and sound good too.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 11
Thank you very much. I wasn't completely sure on the D2000s or DT880s, so thank you for clearing that up.

I absolutely love the look of the HFI-780s and since you've all put in a good word about them right now they're are at the top of my list. Other suggestions are welcome as well. I definitely have plenty of time to decide between my options.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 11
Oh never mind, just realized it was another one of those things where they can't show you the real price because it's so much lower than the advertised one.

I'm unsure where I'd be able to test these out at. I don't know of any local audiophile stores around me.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 11
The only thing on your original list that I would even consider to be portable are the M50's.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing on your original list that I would even consider to be portable are the M50's.

I would disagree, as I use my HD25's to commute.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #10 of 11
Guitar Center usually has a decent selection. I know they have the Shure 840's, the HD25-II's, some Ultrasone, and others. You can also check Ultrasone's website for a list of retailers. Ultrasone

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 11
Oh, really? I'm pretty sure there's a guitar center close by, so I'll have to go check it out. Thanks!

Right now the two pairs I'm most interested in are the M50s and HFI 780s.

Any more suggestions?

EDIT: After looking here, it seems that the HD-25IIs are supra-aurals, which generally cause me a lot of discomfort quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back