Trying to decide between 3 speakers: Sony 2.1, Altec Lansing 2.1 Octane 7, and Altec Lansing MX6021 2.1 Expressionist Ultra Speaker System (links included)
Dec 1, 2011 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kds4121

New Head-Fier
Which would be the most cost-effective, or if you know of others in the price range which might be better, please let me know! (or a good 5.1 system in the same price range as well)

I listen to a huge variety of music, ranging from a lot of pop heard on the radio, dance, rock, jazz, and even some country. 

I like to listen to my music fairly loud.

Right now I am looking at: Sony 2.1 speakers, Altec Lansing 2.1 Octane 7 speakers, and Altec Lansing MX6021 2.1 Expressionist Ultra Speaker System

Sony 2.1: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-2-1-Personal-Speakers-Black/dp/B001QXDSMM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322765649&sr=1-1

Altec Lansing 2.1 Octane 7 speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-VS4621-Computer-Speaker/dp/B0038W0NEU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Altec Lansing MX6021 2.1 Expressionist Ultra Speaker System: http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-MX6021-Expressionist-Speaker/dp/B0025VKUR0/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322764644&sr=1-5

Also, is there a difference between a 2.1 system and bookshelf speakers in sound quality? 

Thanks so much in advance! 

- Kevin

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 12
Music for best sound quality for the $$ i would look into (for low cost solutions) a T-Amp and a pair of half decent bookshelf speakers with proper tweeter/woofer design Hit efficient speakers and for near field i have set these up w/o any issue w.r.t loudness but do hit AVS/whathifi for more suggestions for musically inclined speakers 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 12
I really appreciate the response, however I am very new to this, and I don't know much about creating my own speaker set up.. Could you please help me out by providing me with some suggestions of brands and models that you would suggest purchasing, of the T-amp and bookshelf speakers? Also, would there be a lot of rewiring necessary? And if yes, how would I go about doing so? 

Thank you! 

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 12
An extremely easy/cheap start up to proper bookshelf speakers would be something like the Lepai TA2020 T-Amp and maybe some Sony SS-B3000 speakers? All u need is an audio cable from source to amp (3.5mm-to-RCA) and some speaker cables and connect them all up observing polarity and it's all good 
L3000.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp/B000OG6I6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322827763&sr=8-1

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for all the info! However, I must ask if it would benefit me/be necessary to add a subwoofer as well. 
One last thing, between the Lepai Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier, and the Dayton Audio DTA-1 Class T Digital AC/DC Amplifier 15 WPC, will there be very much of a difference? 

Once again, thank you so much! 

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 12
I am actually in the same boat, except I've been looking at these 3 systems. They're all around the same price.

a. Antec Soundscience Rockus 2.1 ($190)
b. Creative GigaWorks T3 2.1 ($200)
c. Altec Lansing MX6021 ($200)

I was looking at that same amp with the Sony bookshelf speakers, however, and was wondering if I could hook up this sub to the system or if not; what would be the best affordable solution to connect those speakers with the sub?

Would any of those three 2.1 systems sound better or would it be best to go with the Sony SS-B1000 bookshelf speakers ($45) and SA-W2500 sub ($75) with an amp? I would have about $60-$80 for an amp, speaker wire, and whatever else I might need for the system to get it working right for it to be within my budget.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 12
Sorry, I'm fairly new to the audiophilia world. I've been looking around for amplifiers or receivers but I can't find a cheap solution for that setup. I might end up getting the 3000 model bookshelf speakers, could you maybe recommend a good receiver for the speakers and sub?

All I really know for sure is I don't want a pre-fabricated 2.1 system with hardwired speakers and such, because that's always what breaks and I end up having to get a whole new system. Pretty much the reason I've been stuck with cheap logitechs, because I needed something.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Sorry, I'm fairly new to the audiophilia world. I've been looking around for amplifiers or receivers but I can't find a cheap solution for that setup. I might end up getting the 3000 model bookshelf speakers, could you maybe recommend a good receiver for the speakers and sub?
All I really know for sure is I don't want a pre-fabricated 2.1 system with hardwired speakers and such, because that's always what breaks and I end up having to get a whole new system. Pretty much the reason I've been stuck with cheap logitechs, because I needed something.

O_o seeing u in Washington, if u could negotiate/stretch you could even land a HDMI AVR here
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/2770613093.html

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
O_o seeing u in Washington, if u could negotiate/stretch you could even land a HDMI AVR here
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/2770613093.html

I am in Washington state not D.C. and I think I decided on some amplified monitors that I will add a sub to later

Monitors
Swan D1080MkII 08

Sub
Dayton Audio SUB-100 HT

For a DAC, will a DAC/headphone amp like the FiiO E7 work alright? I live on a campus and am kind of limited by space and budget. If there is something that will give me the same quality or better for around the same price, I would like a suggestion. I was looking at the iBasso D-ZERO but the E7 seemed to be pretty much the same thing for 20 dollars cheaper.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 12
I was looking at stand-alone DACs but the cheapest I could find is the FiiO D3 and that looks like it got really bad reviews here. The next step up I could find is like $150 and that's too much so if a portable DAC/headphone amp like the D-zero or the E7 would work well, that would be perfect since I need a portable amp for my AKG headphones anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back