Trying to create a simple mini recording set up with my PC...Lost.
Oct 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hensley258

New Head-Fier
I guess for info reasons I should list my PC specs first:

Intel i 7 Qual core CPU - Liquid cooled Overclocked @ 4Ghz
4Gb Gskill DDR3 1600mhz RAM
Logitech Z-5500 500 watt 5.1 surround speakers.
ATI Radion HD5870 GPU
750 watt PC Power & cooling Power Supply
Auzentech X-plosion 7.1 DDL sound card.
Raptor 10,000 RPM 120Gb hard drive.

Anyway, I should mention that I am skilled at Video, but completly lost and confused when it comes to audio, such as how to record Voice and lay it down over select music tracks. (not fake music tracks, but select songs that are identical to the real artistst song without any artists vocals) I want to find and download these tracks and then lay vocals into them and be able to tweek and save them as a real music file.

OK, I know I need a pre-amp and have selected one made by Auzentech that plugs into USB and allows a Dynamic mic hook up. Then my guess is to get a good set of headphones that I can connect to my headphone jack on my Auzentech sound card.

Next and the biggest problem.... One would think that you could simply find a music site that has tons of individual songs from origional artists that simply have no vocals on them. I figured maybe they would cost a couple bucks per song to download.

Problem, I must have spent two days searching for such contect with no luck at all. I did find many MIDI song sites, but they were a joke because for example if you download a song by Metalica you get what can only be described as elevator music. LOL! It's funny to hear a Metallica song that sounds like an electronic 10 cent Polka band performed it.

Last problem... even if I could find such real content I would have no clue how to record the song to vocals with a Mic and save that file. I know people are doing this on their PC, but when I ask how I usually get responses in complicated code which I don't under stand. Remember I know NOTHING about recording, editing and saving created music.

Regarding each of the problems above can anyone here tell me how to do this in a way I can understand?
Thanks.

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 8
This sound familiar. Did you post about this on other sites? Or is this common thing ppl are trying to do these days.
I don't have any experience with recording/editing software that you have to pay money to get but
There is free (open source) application like Audacity which you can use to record, edit, and sync and mix two tracks.
My guess is that, with you listening to background track with a closed headphone, record your voice.
Import both background and your voice track to software, sync it, mix it as one track and export.
Again, I don't know if there is expensive software that let you do real time recording in sync with background.

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
This sound familiar. Did you post about this on other sites? Or is this common thing ppl are trying to do these days.
I don't have any experience with recording/editing software that you have to pay money to get but
There is free (open source) application like Audacity which you can use to record, edit, and sync and mix two tracks.
My guess is that, with you listening to background track with a closed headphone, record your voice.
Import both background and your voice track to software, sync it, mix it as one track and export.
Again, I don't know if there is expensive software that let you do real time recording in sync with background.

Yea I posted on another site regarding something simmilar, but thought since this forum is strictly dedicated to audio experts that perhaps they would have some info. I downloaded the Audacity Beta for windows 7 and I am kind of playing around with it to see if I can even import a song to it. Audacity is a little difficult to learn. Maybe I can find some tutorial for it to teach me.

I did find one program that was actually pretty good at taking saved music and removing Vocals, but doing so does take away some of the sound dynamic and you can still hear the artists vocals just a little. I also found a Karaoke web site that sells songs for .99 each but after listening to a couple of their sample demos it was weird because the song sounded about 85% like the real song, but in a way I can't explain it just wasn't true to the artist. Like they did something to it to make it sound just a little different.

Karaoke DJ's get what sounds 100% identical to the origonal artists sound and I wonder how they do that.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 8
The cheapest program I know of that lets you do what you are looking to do is Magix. Its fairly simple to use, and is only $60 for the boxed version. http://www.magix.com/us/music-maker/  I don't know what type of mic you have, but you can get ones that are strictly USB. I have the Audio Technica AT2020 USB mic and it works quite well. The only thing about USB mics is they do record in real time, but its a little slow, so after you are done recording you have to move the vocals into position to be on time with the music. That literally takes like 2 seconds to do, so it really isn't much of a drawback. 

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
The cheapest program I know of that lets you do what you are looking to do is Magix. Its fairly simple to use, and is only $60 for the boxed version. http://www.magix.com/us/music-maker/  I don't know what type of mic you have, but you can get ones that are strictly USB. I have the Audio Technica AT2020 USB mic and it works quite well. The only thing about USB mics is they do record in real time, but its a little slow, so after you are done recording you have to move the vocals into position to be on time with the music. That literally takes like 2 seconds to do, so it really isn't much of a drawback. 

I see, well maybe this Auzentech Pre-amp that plugs into USB might not be the way to go. Perhaps a Pre-amp that plugs directly into my sound card would be better for recording? Will the Magix program you suggested allow my sound card to record vocals from a mic?
I don't see a function in my Auzentech X-plosion sound card that allows for recording. My card will allow sound thru a mic, but won't utilize it to record. Then I guess I would need another program to lay that vocal file in with the recorded music after I remove the vocals from a particular song.

One more question....If I buy a nice Pre-amp then the Mic connects to it and an output from Pre-amp would then plug into my "line in" port on my sound card right? Only problem is the adaptor from Pre-amp to sound card input is different so how do I get it to plug in?
The headphone jack that would (I think) go directly to my sound card is also different. How do I plug all this in?

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I see, well maybe this Auzentech Pre-amp that plugs into USB might not be the way to go. Perhaps a Pre-amp that plugs directly into my sound card would be better for recording? Will the Magix program you suggested allow my sound card to record vocals from a mic?
I don't see a function in my Auzentech X-plosion sound card that allows for recording. My card will allow sound thru a mic, but won't utilize it to record. Then I guess I would need another program to lay that vocal file in with the recorded music after I remove the vocals from a particular song.

One more question....If I buy a nice Pre-amp then the Mic connects to it and an output from Pre-amp would then plug into my "line in" port on my sound card right? Only problem is the adaptor from Pre-amp to sound card input is different so how do I get it to plug in?
The headphone jack that would (I think) go directly to my sound card is also different. How do I plug all this in?

Yes, the Magix program will allow you to use the line-in on your soundcard. It allows you to use any mic you may have connected to your pc, no matter how its hooked up. If your computer recognizes the mic, Magix will also recognize it. I don't exactly know how to go about using the preamp as I use a USB mic connected directly to my computer. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 8

tmars78 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is what I'm looking for, Thanks for your instruction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back