Trying to choose a new pair of headphones and need some help.
Dec 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kookajamo

New Head-Fier

I'm going to start off this post by apologizing for my ignorance to all things audio. 

Now that we've got that out of the way, I can ask my question. I'm trying to find high quality, portable headphones and a nice portable amp to go with them that I can use with my Phone (Droid X) to listen to music on the go at high quality (I'm really tired of $20 skull candy headphones with bad sound). 

I'm nowhere near an audiophile, but I love sound and music. I'd be willing to spend around $200 on the cans and $100 on the amp. I'd also need a LOD cable that works with my phones 3.5 jack, which I have no idea where to find. 

Since I'm trying to use these at work, school, on the bus or the plane ect. I'd like them to not leak sound (Not sure if that's called closed or noise canceling or what, as I said I'm really bad with audio). 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I'll post below what I was looking at on Amazon if anyone wants to tell me if these are good picks. 

Headphones: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=asc_df_B0042A8CW21814514?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0042A8CW2
ir

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FTVDQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0042A8CW2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0NYF1F5SK5XD3M2Q8SHB
ir

Amp I was looking at: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E7-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003E6K1VK/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b
ir

-Collin

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 13
Both of those headphones you linked (555 and 598) are quite open and will leak, and will not isolate at all - so scratch them off your list.  I'm not sure what music you listen to, but you could look at the V-moda M-80s, Sennheiser HD 25-1-II, Creative Aurvana Live, Dt770. 

I'm more of an open headphone guy, so I don't listen to a lot of closed headphones.  Maybe some closed experts can chime in here.

I thought the whole point of LODs were to bypass a devices 3.5mm jack/internal amp.  The FiiO E7 is alright, although the DAC is a little dry/edgy sounding.  There is also the I-Basso D-zero.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Both of those headphones you linked (555 and 598) are quite open and will leak, and will not isolate at all - so scratch them off your list.  I'm not sure what music you listen to, but you could look at the V-moda M-80s, Sennheiser HD 25-1-II, Creative Aurvana Live, Dt770. 

I'm more of an open headphone guy, so I don't listen to a lot of closed headphones.  Maybe some closed experts can chime in here.

I thought the whole point of LODs were to bypass a devices 3.5mm jack/internal amp.  The FiiO E7 is alright, although the DAC is a little dry/edgy sounding.  There is also the I-Basso D-zero.

Thanks for this. 

I've been looking at the M-80s and the HD 25-1-II and I'm more leaning to the HDs after reading a lot of reviews. 

I'm not sure what a LOD does, but what I was told was if I wanted to get good sound from my phone's music player with an amp, I would need to buy an LOD cable as phones + MP3 players have build in internal amps (If I'm wrong please correct me XD). 

Anyways, if the FiiO E7 is only alright, do you have any other suggestions for a nice portable amp, or do I not really need an amp at all? (I have an astro amp for my astro gaming headset but it's a bit too bulky for me to carry around). 

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 13
Sennheiser hd 25 1 ii.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Alright I'm going with the Hd 25s then. Anyone have an amp suggestions. 

A cheap portable amp should work for you. I use my fiio e7.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Sounds good that's what I was looking at on amazon. 

Now I have one more question (Sorry for bothering you XD) If I want to listen to music primarily from my phone do I need to get a LOD cable to bring out the full sound from my amp and headphones? 

Is your  phone an i device? What kind of line out does it have? When you amplify from the headphone out your double amplifying but i don't know if your phone has a line out. If it does i hugely recommend it. I use a fiio l3 lod out of my iphone. But i usually don't bother with amps because the hd 25 runs well out of my iphone un amped.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 13
A LOD cable connects to the phone digitally as a data cable so your amp can amplify the music directly instead of amplifying the already amped signal from the phone's HP jack.

What kind of phone is it?  Have you googled "the model  + LOD cable"?

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Sounds good that's what I was looking at on amazon. 

Now I have one more question (Sorry for bothering you XD) If I want to listen to music primarily from my phone do I need to get a LOD cable to bring out the full sound from my amp and headphones? 

Yes you do. The e7 also has a DAC (digital analogue converter) that is most likely better than the DAC in your phone. The DAC is important because it turns your digital music files into an analogue signal that then goes to your headphones. If you have a bad converter, you get a bad conversion. If you attach the LOD to your phone and the e7, the digital signal will bypass your phone's DAC and go to the e7 producing a much better sound. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Keep in mind you can't use the fiio e7 as a portable phone dac. It's a computer dac only or a portable amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back