Trying to buy GS1000 bagel pads
Jan 13, 2007 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

F1GTR

Banned
I'd like to pick up a pair of the bagel pads to try with my PS1's.

Does anyone know where to order them from? I noticed that they aren't on Todd's website and I've tried emailing him twice with no reply as to availability and price. Guess I'll try calling him on Tuesday.

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Revelatio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they much more comfortable than a bowl pad?

Yes. They are not supposed to work for any other Grado though but I've tried them with my PS-1 and they sound great. It somehow keeps the same great sound signature but opens up the soundstage more. It's still great with rock.

I've been trying to buy these separately myself, so I emailed GradoLab directly to find out when they'd be available. They said mid January, so that could be why people are already able to buy them. I guess by next week Headroom and TTVJ will have this listed on their website.

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. They are not supposed to work for any other Grado though but I've tried them with my PS-1 and they sound great. It somehow keeps the same great sound signature but opens up the soundstage more. It's still great with rock.

So it will work with other models?

Jan 16, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it will work with other models?

Yes. I tried out iamoneagain's (hey iamdo... oneagain) PS-1s with bagels and they actually sounded very decent. Not as good as the bowls, but if you want the PS-1 sound which is excellent and need to listen to large scale music (one headphone solution) then this will get you there.

No other headphone worked that I tried RS series or HP series (sounded good but the bass was too lean and treble was brighter).

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I tried out iamoneagain's (hey iamdo... oneagain) PS-1s with bagels and they actually sounded very decent. Not as good as the bowls, but if you want the PS-1 sound which is excellent and need to listen to large scale music (one headphone solution) then this will get you there.

No other headphone worked that I tried RS series or HP series (sounded good but the bass was too lean and treble was brighter).

Yeah, I'm wondering how the bagel pads will sound in the long run. I have a tube I can swap out on my amp that seems to roll off the highs just a bit, so I might use that if things get too bright. I tried them for about 15 minutes at the meet and compared them directly with the GS1000 themselves, and greatly prefered the PS-1/bagels. I think $50 is worth the risk to try when the headphone is $1400.

Yeah, my name change is confusing. I just wanted to match my gmail name and haven't used iamdone for anything, other than this, in a long time.

Edit: If someone finds them listed somewhere, please post here. So far, I haven't found anything. I was thinking of calling some of the local stores to see if they have any.

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 34
I'd like to try a pair! Does anyone know if they'll fit my SR325i?

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to try a pair! Does anyone know if they'll fit my SR325i?

These pads will fit any Grado except the iGrado. The problem is that they don't sound good on anything but the GS1000 and the PS-1. So if you want to spend $50, go ahead, but Todd already said there are no refunds on these pads.

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

These pads will fit any Grado except the iGrado. The problem is that they don't sound good on anything but the GS1000 and the PS-1. So if you want to spend $50, go ahead, but Todd already said there are no refunds on these pads.

Well then. I don't want to spend $50 for the fun of it. Perhaps someone else will write ore about them. How come they won't sound good on anything else?

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 34
The bagel pads accentuate the treble and if theres one thing most grados (especially your 325i's) don't need it's more treble
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well then. I don't want to spend $50 for the fun of it. Perhaps someone else will write ore about them. How come they won't sound good on anything else?

I haven't heard it myself, but it's supposed to suck out the mids and bass. I think the larger distance between your ears and the drivers are making it harder to drive. The PS-1 have very powerful bass that seems to stay strong with the bagels. Even the PS-1's mids with the bagels on are better in my opinion than the GS1000 themselves. I guess you can go to a meet sometime and try swapping pads to hear for yourself.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

I haven't heard it myself, but it's supposed to suck out the mids and bass. I think the larger distance between your ears and the drivers are making it harder to drive. The PS-1 have very powerful bass that seems to stay strong with the bagels. Even the PS-1's mids with the bagels on are better in my opinion than the GS1000 themselves. I guess you can go to a meet sometime and try swapping pads to hear for yourself.

Your comments are interesting regarding the PS1 with Bagels VS the GS, and wonder if the pair you are relating this comment to was in a system with components bearing synergy to the PS and/or GS, or instead moreso on one can than the other.

I typically listen mostly to vinyl, some redbook, and binaural on phones. For my preferences, the GS responds and scales better with higher end sources, and especially paired with a nice vinyl rig; where the PS bears the tradermark Professional series sound on most any front end or source, I find the more toneally balanced nature of the GS to be more faithful to the original signal path . Actually, I find the sound and dynamics in the headstaging off when using the PS and the bagels. The imaging and timing of the FR amiss with the bagels on the PS, although it surely made this phone much more comfy in longer sessions than with the bowls/flats on the PS
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your comments are interesting regarding the PS1 with Bagels VS the GS, and wonder if the pair you are relating this comment to was in a system with components bearing synergy to the PS and/or GS, or instead moreso on one can than the other.

I typically listen mostly to vinyl, some redbook, and binaural on phones. For my preferences, the GS responds and scales better with higher end sources, and especially paired with a nice vinyl rig; where the PS bears the tradermark Professional series sound on most any front end or source, I find the more toneally balanced nature of the GS to be more faithful to the original signal path . Actually, I find the sound and dynamics in the headstaging off when using the PS and the bagels. The imaging and timing of the FR amiss with the bagels on the PS, although it surely made this phone much more comfy in longer sessions than with the bowls/flats on the PS
tongue.gif

I only listeneed for about 15 minutes with the bagels on the PS-1, but I liked what I heard. I figured after spending more time with this combo, there might be some flaws since they weren't designed to go together.

As far as the GS1000 themselves, I tried them on a number of amps and sources at the meet and still didn't like the mids. I didn't notice any sibilance but I also didn't hear the magic mids that even the SR-60 have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back