Trying to break out of Mid-Fi purgatory.
Jan 25, 2015 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

farstar

New Head-Fier
When it was time to get a high end of open cans, the consensus was clear to me for my need. I got the HD800s on a good sale and I love them except for maybe that treble thing now and then but that's another thread.

I want to move-on-up in the closed and portable area. I am riddled with mid fi cans which I all like for the same reasons. They are largely flat sounding and most have a descent sound stage. I listen to 60% Orchestral 40% Mixed rock.  Most are drive able by a portable device which is important. They are:

NVX XPT100s (good for the price, but they are entry level and leak)
Shure 840 ( I regret these. Not comfortable and nothing special)
Beyerdynamic DT 660 ( a hidden gem for classical,Picked them up for $96 open boxed, but they leak so no listening in bed)
Sony MDR-7520 (These are great in all respects except for a congested sound stage)
AKG K550. They isolate well, but don't seem special otherwise. 
Audio Technica A900X . These are on the way because I got them on sale for $130. 

I am thinking the purchase of the A900x was a mistake, but the price seemed so good. Am am willing to spend up to $600. Especially if I return the K550s (though they're so pretty) and cancel the A900x order. 

So far the the Bayerdynamic T70p are looking interesting to me for a noticeable step up. 

Any thoughts ?

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 4
MA900 is exceptional for Orchestral, they are warmer, big airy soundstage is very similar to hd800, not brighter like AD900x or hd800, but might not have the speed for rock genres.  I think an option like he500 might suit you.  

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 4
  MA900 is exceptional for Orchestral, they are warmer, big airy soundstage is very similar to hd800, not brighter like AD900x or hd800, but might not have the speed for rock genres.  I think an option like he500 might suit you.  

Thanks for the tip. I am looking for a closed set though. I think I've found my open can needs with my HD600 and HD-800s.

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 4
Enigmatic Audio Paradox is my top closed recommendation for orchestral. ZMF v1 is definitely worth looking into as well, depending on your sonic preferences. Best luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back