Trying to avoid upgraditis...
Aug 18, 2004 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pianomaster

New Head-Fier
I got a lot out of reading terraphoenix's post about being a happy SR-60 user but at the same time wanting to upgrade. I'm in a similar spot right now but had some different questions for the forum. I've been using my amp since day 1 (which was last thursday) and tested every single pair of headphones i could find on it. My portable setup is usually my ipod and the PX100s or ER4's at the gym and at home it's the ipod>amp>ER-4s. Now i've had a pair of SR-60s longer than i've ever had any piece of equipment before, but now i feel like they are the odd man out: their sound with and without an amp are too similar for me to prefer them over the amped ety's, but they are a bit big and cumbersome for taking out on the road when the PX100's are just as good to my ears. I love the sound of the ety's, but as i listen to classic rock (zeppelin, beatles) and some of the more bombastic classical stuff (i.e. Russian...mainly stravinksy), I wanted to see about buying another headphone for home use.
I'm not dissatisfied with the SR-60s at all, and the despite "ignorance=bliss" mindset that everyone wishes they still had, i know other headphones can sound better than them. Suggestions from anyone? It seems that Senns are many people's favorite overall, for any music type. I've never listened to any of the Beyer or Audio-Technica products; how do they fare with rock? Money is a bit tight (i'm a musician), but anyone with anything to say, say it!!
Brad

Aug 18, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 5
if you are happy with what you got right now, then the bug have not caught on just yet
DELETE THIS FORUM FROM YOUR BOOKMARK

but if you do want new phones, then do lots of research and get something near the top end so that you won't have to do this again

Aug 18, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 5
I think i need to re-assess what i said about the SR-60s...they are great headphones, and since they were the first headphones i really ever used extensively, i think i've been spoiled by "the bug" from the beginning. Am i already acclimated to it? If so, this is probably a blessing very well hidden in disguise. I know the law of diminishing returns applies full force to headphones, so i agree with AnimeEd about needing to jump a few levels higher in performance, or don't jump at all....sorry for any confusion!

Aug 18, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 5
From everything I've read, it sounds like the Sennheiser HD595 might be a good choice. It has the good attributes of both Grado's and Senn's. And not too bad of a price, either. Take this with a grain of salt, though - I don't own them at the moment, this is just based on what I've read here at Head-Fi. I have used Grado SR-225 & AudioTechnica ATH-A900 on the way, if I had the extra money, I'd like to audition the Senn HD595 as well (and probably will end up with them at some point in the future). This of course is only for indoor, stationary listening. When I get around to my portable needs, I will probably get the Ety ER4P or ER6i for my iPod. Don't know, the PX100 look like a helluva deal too.

-Jason

Aug 19, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 5
you want to get the MS Pros cos seriously they are a hell of a phone for a very nice price as well.
they can be had cheaper from Taiwan
Shang Ti should help you out there.
these are seriously one phone after which upgraditis disappears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back