Trying out the Grado/Alessandro Sound (MS-2 vs HD580/HD280)
Feb 22, 2005 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nospam

500+ Head-Fier
I've been wanting to try something to complement my HD580, and the MS-2 sounded like a good option. So, I grabbed a used pair off the For Sale forum, and it arrived today.

So far, I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. The two main concerns I had were comfort and brightness.

Well, they're definitely not going to win any awards for comfort
plainface.gif
Initially, it's not bad enough that they detract from enjoying the music... much. However, after wearing them for almost an hour, I started to notice a few things.

First of all, the bowl pads feel like sandpaper against my ears. I'm actually a bit concerned about this, since (in the past) I've had problems with foam giving me a rash on my ears. Also, the headband just plain sucks rocks
frown.gif
They're also starting to feel a bit heavy.

As for brightness, it's not so bad. They are a bit brighter than what I've become accustomed to with my Senns, but nowhere as painful as the ER-6i I tried a few months ago (I had to take those off after about 1 minute... way too bright). I cringe a bit when the violins hit the upper registers on some Classical pieces, but Baby Got Back sounds just fine
tongue.gif

The bass seems tighter than the HD580 (maybe even tighter than the HD280), but the HD580 seems to have fuller/deeper bass. The HD280 has the strongest bass of the three.

As far as soundstage goes, it's really no contest
eek.gif
Then again, I didn't buy the MS-2 for soundstage
biggrin.gif

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the sound. Keep in mind that these observations are based on less than 2 hours of listening. The comfort thing is the only thing keeping me from labeling these as a "keeper". However, I got used to the vice grip of the HD280, so maybe I can learn to deal with the MS-2
rs1smile.gif
580smile.gif
280smile.gif

BTW, I was originally going to also compare these to the PX-100 for grins, but the ones I received are defective (no sound from the left)
frown.gif
That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks by buying a refurb
rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely thinking about Senn pads, and I guess the reverse bowls are easy enough to try. I just don't know if it's worth the trouble...

I took a break for a while, then put them back on for a 2 hour stretch... finally had to take them off because my ears were killing me
frown.gif

I like the sound, but I'm not sure I like them enough to deal with the comfort (or lack of) problem. I've got my HD580 on right now, and it's a night/day difference in terms of comfort. I did come to the realization that, in general, I prefer circumaural cans.

Guess I'm not ready to give up on these, but the comfort thing is really annoying.

BTW, is there a good source for Senn pads, other than direct from Sennheiser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back