Trying out IEMs = Trying on Underwear?
Mar 4, 2007 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

stereophile

Head-Fier
I'm trying to test a bunch of IEMs, but one thing I notice is almost zero stores have them on display to test out.

You know, if I could just walk in 1 or 2 stores and test out like 6 IEMs with my portable setup and my favorite music, I could decide in a few hours which ones to buy.

But as it is, its like I gotta buy 6 pairs, try them all, and return the ones I don't want. A pain.

Why don't more stores have this stuff open, ready to try out?

Then I thought about it -- Kind of like underwear, I guess no one wants to stick those superfi 5's into their ear after 100 other unknown persons have done so...

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by stereophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I thought about it -- Kind of like underwear, I guess no one wants to stick those superfi 5's into their ear after 100 other unknown persons have done so...

Exactly what i was thinking after i read the title of this thread.
etysmile.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly what i was thinking after i read the title of this thread.
etysmile.gif

I honestly could care less if they were in someone else's ears before me as long as there was maybe a sterile wipey there or something. What is so damn disgusting about ear wax? I used to wipe earwax on my sister all the time and nothing ever happened to her?

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 21
You can try IEM's like that at any store ...

... in Bizzaro-World.

But it is lousy. I've bought two sets in the last two months. And I'm probably gonna' end up with one or two more before I'm happy. I'm telling myself that obtaining enlightenment is not as important as the path to achieving it.

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly could care less if they were in someone else's ears before me as long as there was maybe a sterile wipey there or something. What is so damn disgusting about ear wax? I used to wipe earwax on my sister all the time and nothing ever happened to her?

Geeze. :/ That's pretty cruel. do you have a good relationship with her now?

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

I used to wipe earwax on my sister all the time and nothing ever happened to her?

lol

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

What is so damn disgusting about ear wax? I used to wipe earwax on my sister all the time and nothing ever happened to her?

Hmm... lemmee guess, you don't have a girlfriend, now . . . do you?
etysmile.gif

Anyway I must admit while you didn't help me find the best damn IEM's in the universe, you did give me my temporary signature.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 21
It is a pain, me and my friends have to all get different phones then have a meeting to see which is best. Kinda fun competition to see who picks the best ones, but a good store would be easier.

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

I'm trying to test a bunch of IEMs, but one thing I notice is almost zero stores have them on display to test out....

More like trying out harmonicas...

If you really want to try out IEMs, you need to go to a convention or meet, like the HeadFest, MacWorld, NAMM or NAB where a lot of IEM vendors are giving demos. They fit new tips on the IEMs for each person (obviously they pay way less for the tips than we do.)

If you do know a store where you can try the IEMs, you could bring your own tips, though I don't have a compatibility list of whos tips fit which other brands--if at all.

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Im assuming they get washed...
Youre telling me youve never bought second hand underwear from a thrift store??
icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Youre telling me youve never bought second hand underwear from a thrift store??
icon10.gif

Well, not men's underwear.

Women's? no comment.

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 21
i got to try the shure e500 in magnolia hi-fi. at the time i was not wearing underwear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back