Trying IEM's (again) and running into trouble
Apr 2, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #166 of 186

Quote:

I own the BA200 and I love them. Only fault I can find is that my ears are so sensitive to bass that almost everything sounds too bassy. But other than that, the soundstage is very wide, bass is deep, mids are good, albeit not at Westone or Shure's level. And the highs are sooo smooth. 

I'm tending to think I'm mid-centric so now I'm stuck between Shure and the BA200.  Is there a huge reason people jump past the 315 for the 425?  I've found information that some people preferred the 315 to the 425.  Just curious.  If I had the $$ I'd go straight for the 535 but I'd need to find a pot of gold or run into some awesome luck with money 
biggrin.gif

I'm finally enjoying the CKM50's - now that I have the right fit and they're pretty comfortable. I'm glad I didn't send them back to Amazon though I wish they were $23 and not $40...  I don't think I've found a genre I dislike with them yet. The bass is a little strong at times but it's not distorted over overpowering to the rest of the music - it's kind of fun.  There are a few songs where it's borderline annoying. Overall, I think they're pretty fun. They do still have a decent amount of sibilance.  What's closest to this sound sig, with more refinement and balance out of the choices above?  

Jeremy: what about the Sound Signature (other than bass) gets you about the BA200? Or is that the only small issue you have with them?

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #167 of 186

Quote:
I'm tending to think I'm mid-centric so now I'm stuck between Shure and the BA200.  Is there a huge reason people jump past the 315 for the 425?  I've found information that some people preferred the 315 to the 425.  Just curious.  If I had the $$ I'd go straight for the 535 but I'd need to find a pot of gold or run into some awesome luck with money 
biggrin.gif

I'm finally enjoying the CKM50's - now that I have the right fit and they're pretty comfortable. I'm glad I didn't send them back to Amazon though I wish they were $23 and not $40...  I don't think I've found a genre I dislike with them yet. The bass is a little strong at times but it's not distorted over overpowering to the rest of the music - it's kind of fun.  There are a few songs where it's borderline annoying. Overall, I think they're pretty fun. They do still have a decent amount of sibilance.  What's closest to this sound sig, with more refinement and balance out of the choices above?  

Jeremy: what about the Sound Signature (other than bass) gets you about the BA200? Or is that the only small issue you have with them?

However, the BA200 aren't exactly mid-centric. But they are pretty neutral. Let's just say the 315 is more fun than the 425, the 425 don't have as much bass and treble compared to the 315 and it is quite laid back in nature which might sound uninspiring, boring in comparison. The SE535 however, I think it's a combination of both, making it sound really musical while being neutral. 

I guess the closest to the CKM50(only tried the CKM55 however, but should not be a big difference) is the CKM77. More clarity, a wider soundstage and a cleaner bass overall. 

The soundstage of the BA200 is really good, their highs are very smooth, the mids are also very good, though not as good compared to Shure and Westone. And no, the bass is not overpowering, bloated or would suit bassheads, it's just that I'm sensitive to bass. So yes, bass is the only "small" issue for me, though I would have to agree it's quality over quantity. Quick, punchy, tight, controlled. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #168 of 186
Jeremy - thanks for your help. Your responses have helped quite a bit!

I'm really interested in the BA200 but finding them is turning out to be fairly difficult - at least at a reasonable price or a reliable site. The 315 might be more up my ally than the 425 - like I said, I tend to bump bass and treble a bit. But I'm not sure what I want to do there. The ckm77 may also be a solution.

I have to admit - for better or worse - the triplefi 10's have peaked my interest. Are the 3 above better than them and I should take them off my list? I was also recommended the UM2 but for some reason, I think Shure may be a better match. So very close I can feel it!

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #170 of 186

Quote:
Jeremy - thanks for your help. Your responses have helped quite a bit!
I'm really interested in the BA200 but finding them is turning out to be fairly difficult - at least at a reasonable price or a reliable site. The 315 might be more up my ally than the 425 - like I said, I tend to bump bass and treble a bit. But I'm not sure what I want to do there. The ckm77 may also be a solution.
I have to admit - for better or worse - the triplefi 10's have peaked my interest. Are the 3 above better than them and I should take them off my list? I was also recommended the UM2 but for some reason, I think Shure may be a better match. So very close I can feel it!

Hmm, the TF10s won't do it for mid-heads due to their recessed mids. But it's all about preference when compared to the ones above. The UM2s are also very good, though not the widest soundstage to say the least. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #171 of 186
I dont hear recessed mids on the TF10...although I will say that the TF10 is a totally different IEM when its run through and LOD, hooked to an amp like a cMoy and the stock cables are dumped for Westone ES sets

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #173 of 186
Get the SE215s if you like bass. They're also very comfortable with the same design as the 535.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #175 of 186
Not looking at the 215's. If I was at the beginning of my search, I probably would have gotten them.

The CKM50's are very clear and I hear very good separation of voices and instruments but I definitely hear some treble roll off and I can't tell if I'm hearing just a bit of distortion at times. I still hear some sibilance but not as much as I'd heard in the beginning. These shine for me on jazz, Hip hop/R&B,  acoustics and orchestral music or classical voice with piano, small string ensemble or small orchestra.  Adele's 21 sounds fantastic with these but it can leave some to be desired (for me) on other genre's.

The JVC's feel a bit more mid-centric and everything sounds a little more veiled.  I still think they have a decent soundstage (depth more than width) and overall it might be a little smoother than the 50's. The seal is a must on these which is hard because of the extended driver.  I feel like the tips are quite a bit larger than other iem's I have/have used and makes them a little uncomfortable.  I normally use the large silicone/rubber tips but these are a bit odd. 

I'm sorry I messed up earlier and said mid-centric.  I'm more partial to a balanced sound or possibly a slight V signature.  Would mid-centric always mean the vocalist/singers are right in my face?  I enjoy the sound of the 50's minus the sibilance and distortion - possibly a tighter bass.  I guess I've upset some people with this thread but in all honesty - you try and listen critically and type your thoughts when you're trying to wrangle an 11-month old and 2 dogs.  The only true time I have to listen is after 10-11pm when I'm already tired. I also don't get out to hear live shows/concerts, etc. nearly as much anymore so my iem's are going to be as close as I'll get right now.  Not that I need to defend myself but seriously - give some people a break.  

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #176 of 186

Quote:
Not looking at the 215's. If I was at the beginning of my search, I probably would have gotten them.

The CKM50's are very clear and I hear very good separation of voices and instruments but I definitely hear some treble roll off and I can't tell if I'm hearing just a bit of distortion at times. I still hear some sibilance but not as much as I'd heard in the beginning. These shine for me on jazz, Hip hop/R&B,  acoustics and orchestral music or classical voice with piano, small string ensemble or small orchestra.  Adele's 21 sounds fantastic with these but it can leave some to be desired (for me) on other genre's.

The JVC's feel a bit more mid-centric and everything sounds a little more veiled.  I still think they have a decent soundstage (depth more than width) and overall it might be a little smoother than the 50's. The seal is a must on these which is hard because of the extended driver.  I feel like the tips are quite a bit larger than other iem's I have/have used and makes them a little uncomfortable.  I normally use the large silicone/rubber tips but these are a bit odd. 

I'm sorry I messed up earlier and said mid-centric.  I'm more partial to a balanced sound or possibly a slight V signature.  Would mid-centric always mean the vocalist/singers are right in my face?  I enjoy the sound of the 50's minus the sibilance and distortion - possibly a tighter bass.  I guess I've upset some people with this thread but in all honesty - you try and listen critically and type your thoughts when you're trying to wrangle an 11-month old and 2 dogs.  The only true time I have to listen is after 10-11pm when I'm already tired. I also don't get out to hear live shows/concerts, etc. nearly as much anymore so my iem's are going to be as close as I'll get right now.  Not that I need to defend myself but seriously - give some people a break.  

I guess the CKM50 are burned-in. Well, I understand your feelings but no one is upset here. The BA200s however, are very balanced.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #177 of 186
For me this is simple and not that expensive.

Brainwavz M2
They have great mids, moderate bass, and some extension into the treble.
To make them fit perfectly get a pair of Comply T-400 foam tips.  I used mediums, but if you have smaller canals go with small.  If you have larger canals use larges.

The foam is really soft and allows the plastic parts of the IEM to not touch the sensitive parts of you inner ear.  I had issues without the foam tips and once I went to the Comply T-400's I have had no issues.

I have used them on plans and they keep the volume level low and reduce the noise 60%.  They are built well and the driver covers unscrew so you can easily clean and debris out of the driver filters.  This is a huge plus for extending the longevity of the IEM.

They typically run $75 or less and the Comply T-400 foam tips run $15 for 3-pair.  I got the IEM from amazon and the T-400 from headphone.com.

Best of luck

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #178 of 186

Quote:
For me this is simple and not that expensive.

Brainwavz M2
They have great mids, moderate bass, and some extension into the treble.
To make them fit perfectly get a pair of Comply T-400 foam tips.  I used mediums, but if you have smaller canals go with small.  If you have larger canals use larges.

The foam is really soft and allows the plastic parts of the IEM to not touch the sensitive parts of you inner ear.  I had issues without the foam tips and once I went to the Comply T-400's I have had no issues.

I have used them on plans and they keep the volume level low and reduce the noise 60%.  They are built well and the driver covers unscrew so you can easily clean and debris out of the driver filters.  This is a huge plus for extending the longevity of the IEM.

They typically run $75 or less and the Comply T-400 foam tips run $15 for 3-pair.  I got the IEM from amazon and the T-400 from headphone.com.

Best of luck

Thanks for the thoughts :)  The only problem - I hate comply foams. Now granted, the ones I tried were medium and I think I need large but I ran into issues with them.  

I'm trying to figure out the best location to get the TDK BA200.  Failing that, I'll likely pick up the Shure 425's since they are very readily available.  My only concern is that some people have said they are flat/boring.  

If I happen to catch (and remember) Amazon's black Friday sale this year (or see them below $150 otherwise), I'll snag the Triple fi 10's at that time for pure fun. 
k701smile.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #179 of 186
First - I apologize for reviving an old thread.  I've learned A LOT since this was started, have gathered a lot of insight from a few senior members who have graciously offered their thoughts and am simply on the fence about my final choice.  My final (and I do mean final) selections have come down to W4 (not the 4R), Shure SE535 and on the lower end, the DBA-02 MKII.  I absolutely have to stay under $425 or so and cannot go over so please - if you have a final thought about something higher, I simply cannot do it. I don't know why it would make a difference but just to mention again - I am a woman, not a guy and I'm a classically trained opera/jazz singer.  I'm also in the states. 

I appreciate any thoughts between the two - or if someone happens to be able to provide a link for the comparison in the W4 appreciation thread (I couldn't read all 200+ pages) I would sincerely appreciate it.  Thank you! 

May 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #180 of 186
So what happened?

I can't believe I read through all 179 posts, and then.... nothing!  Worse than The Sopranos.

I came out of lurk mode and joined to find out.

I was also wondering about your thinksounds.  Now that you've had some more time with them, how do you feel about them?  I never fully understood how they failed to hit the mark for you, it seemed like you were always saying good things about them.  I'm considering getting some ms01s as my first decent IEMs (to replace some Sony MDR-EX55s, pee-yew).

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back