Trying hard to like my new Ety ER4S - Any Suggestions?
Dec 21, 2004 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

goatwuss

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I would like to start listening to music at work, and unfortunately my Sennheiser HD600s are too obtrusive to use at work. (too big, and too loud) The plan is to rip my vinyl collection to hard drive, and play back with the M audio Audiophile DAC into my headphone amp (I have an MG Head) into a pair of earbuds.

SO... i bought the Ety ER4S - it's day 5 of having them. Each day I've tried more than once to like the way they sound. Each time, after forcing myself to listen (plugged into MG Head) for 10 mins or so, I had to switch back to my Senn 600s, and ahh, music again.

I've tried both the foamies and the white things, tried wetting them, shoved them in as far as they can go, etc... nothing seems to change the very 'thin,' bass shy, piercing highs sound.

I also find wearing them intrusive and uncomfortable.

I listen to rock (both heavy amped and acoustic), jazz, and classical (big scale and small) all in an even mix. I value evenness of tone, authorative dynamics, and transparency most.

If I'm not going to find a sound I like with the Etys, is there an alternative that I may enjoy?
Any suggestions?

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 10
Shure E5c? I'm having trouble finding top-notch canal-phones that don't have to be custom-fit to your ears (=no resale value if you eventually upgrade). Many who find the Etymotics thin seem to really dig the Shures. I ordered 'em just to give them a try...Christmas present for myself. I'll let you know how they sound Christmas day if you like. You can get a completely fresh account, too, since I have no experience with any of these...but very critical ears...overly critical, by most standards (I'm a violinist). If those don't work out, I'm not sure what I'll do. Etys have terrible bass, everything else is custom-fit. Actually, I PRAY THESE WORK FOR ME.

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 10
BTW, the Etys supposedly have very flat response...but to me, flat sometimes = sharp w/ no bass. Guess I have strange ears.

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 10
i disagree, jau. the ety er4 has terrific bass--huge extension, just not ear-shaking like full sized cans. goatwuss, i suggest you let the etys burn in for a couple weeks before you make the final cut. they ety house sound takes getting used to.

Dec 21, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 10
The sound you're describing sounds exactly like the symptoms of not getting a good seal. Setting aside the fact that you seem to have tried lots of fit options, are you sure you're really getting a seal? With the music off you should be able to hear very, very little room noise, and with a really good seal you probably will find that once they're in, you've built up a bit of air pressure ahead of them and have to wait a few seconds for the air pressure to equalize (or else fiddle with them a bit until you open an air passage for a moment to equalize the pressure). With a good seal you'll have a very full sound . . . or at least, I do.

FWIW for a really good seal I like to moisten the tri-flanges with a small amount of glycerin-based eardop solution (Murine or equivalent). It helps to lube the tips on the way in, and fills in the tiny gaps once it's in there.

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Look at this thread:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...t=ety+foam+mod

Take two foamies and cut about 1/3 off the width. Tyson the poster says they sound a lot more like Senns. This mod really changes the sound without giving up the detail. If you don't like, it through the modded foamies away and put on a fresh pair.

dshea

Dec 22, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
FWIW for a really good seal I like to moisten the tri-flanges with a small amount of glycerin-based eardop solution (Murine or equivalent). It helps to lube the tips on the way in, and fills in the tiny gaps once it's in there.

I find a quick lick of the end of the tri-flange works a treat too
biggrin.gif
Just got my ER-4P's today.They went in a lot easier than i expected and my god are they diddy or what!-they look so much bigger in pictures.I've got to say that while the bass isn't earth moving it's there and it's not to bad through my Go-Vibe amp - i may try the 2227 opamp as i believe this has a richer (read fuller) sound - what have i got to loose for a few $$'s?.Persevere with them Goatwuss - they'll grow on you!
etysmile.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 10
The sound you're describing in relation to the HD600 sounds exactly like the symptoms of inserting the phones correctly. Either try and acclimatise yourself to the sound, or try the E5c... although this is a compromise in the opposite direction when compared with the HD600. If you need something unobtrusive that isolates, these are your most viable generic fit solutions.

If isolation is not a priority, you might like to give the Stax SR-001 Mk II (or the AC powered variant) a try.

Dec 22, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 10
I agree with Bangraman here, the sound you are describing is the the exact sound signature of the Etys, even with a good seal (and especially when compared to the HD650). Whenever anyone complains about the total lack of bass on the Etys, helpful Head-Fiers will tell them it's because of the seal - which baffles me since it's actually because the Ety's have terrible bass
very_evil_smiley.gif
Oh, and they also have exaggerated highs
etysmile.gif

You could try the Shure E5, or even do what I did and go for the Senn Hd25-1 (a small closed headphone with decent sound quality). Other than that you are looking at custom fit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back