Trying amps before buying?
Oct 11, 2015 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Warhawk

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, been a while since I've been here but I just got the dt 990 pro 250 ohm.
Right now I'm just listening to them through my MacBook Pro and my iPhone 6 plus which already sounds amazing.

I've been looking at amps and have been considering the fiio e17 and maybe even the schiit vali.

However I just really want to try these or any amp out before buying them. I don't have the luxury of buying several amps and sending back the ones I don't like. I live in the Phoenix Arizona area, is there any store where you can actually bring your headphones and try different amps?

Thanks for any help!

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 2
The whole point in current marketing and retail tactics is to do as much of it as possible online using as few warehouses as possible because offline work costs a lot of money. Maintaining a brick and mortar store location includes rent and that includes having a large storage area, salaries for the staff, security as well as insurance for the site and its contents, etc - all of that plus the dealer has to make a profit. This is why Schiit can sell the Modi and Magni for $99 each, but competing products from Pro-Ject for example costs double if not more (their cheapest headamp was roughly $350 here a few years ago) and what I heard from the dealer at the time - which he proudly proclaimed - was that it was a CMOY-based circuit. So basically if the guy was correct Pro-Ject took a schematic for a 9v-powered amp posted on the internet, modified it, and then their dealer wants $350 for it.

The problem of course is what you're having now. You have two options for that:

1. Wait for a Head-Fi (or other forum's) "meet" in or near your area, attend and hope you find those amps there
2. "Rent" from Schiit - they charge minimum repacking fees (plus shipping) if you return within 15 Days, so just don't scratch it or lose anything (or toss out the box)
http://schiit.com/faq/warranty-returns

Users who are viewing this thread

Back