Trying a New Open Can...Suggestions?
Jul 5, 2007 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Denver Max

100+ Head-Fier
I've decided to part with my Grado SR-60s. I've had them for a year and a half now and have very few complaints about them.

So now I'm looking for a new open can in the ~$225 price range +/- $50. From my own research, these cans can be had at that price:
AKG K701 - eBay
Ultrasone Proline 2500 - Used in Head-Fi classefieds
Sennheiser HD650 if I'm lucky, or HD600
Grado SR225
Beyer DT880

If I can, I'd like to stray away from the Grado/Alessandro sound. I have had it for a while, and I like it, but I want to try something new.

I'll be using the cans mostly at home, most often powered by a Meier Corda Aria or similar ~$300-$400 amp+DAC that I'll also be purchasing soon.

As I am used to the DT770, I do not want a can that lacks anything in bass. The deeper and more detailed the better. But I also don't want another duplicate of the Beyer sound that I'm used to.

I'll be listening to a variety of music with the headphones, but want to focus mostly on indie rock and electronic with these. My Beyers will be used when I want to listen to metal or rap.

So what do you think?

I have no problem going used.

I don't have the amp yet, so if you suggest a headphone, could you possibly suggest an amp+dac to look at with it too, or tell me how well it'd pair will a corda aria?

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 4
Well here is my pick and it wont hurt your wallet too.

Sennheiser HD580 (oldie but a goodie ) $130-200USD

Little Dot MK3 Tube amp (best bang for buck anywhere) $200USD

Sound is SILKY SMOOTH, WARM and VERY DETAILED. Will show up any bad recording/mastering.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back