Try out DIY?
Sep 17, 2002 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
Hi.

I would love to be able to just chuck together a piece of gear (in this case, the modified Linkwitz filter http://www.headwize.com/projects/cmoy1_prj.htm ), but the thing is that I don't know how to properly solder, and especially have no idea what those electronics schematics mean. Is there any sort of shortcut way to get into this stuff, or not? Any sort of good, comprehensive tutorials around?

- Matt

Sep 18, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 9
I think a really good beginners book on electronics is “Getting Started in Electronics” by Forrest M. Mims III from Radio Shack. It starts with the basics and explains a lot. It’s only about $8 and I feel it’s a good staring point.

Do you have access to a soldering iron? If you do a good way to start learning how to solder is to take something apart, then re-assemble it. Preferably using a scrap piece of electronics equipment or borrow something from a friend.

Sep 18, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Is there any sort of shortcut way to get into this stuff, or not?

Get a DIYer to make it for you.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 9
...already asked around here and headwize and received no reply. I would love it if there were a DIY'er who would do it for me, but I suppose that I might like it even better if I could, on any whim at any time and at a low cost, be able to slap a pair of IC's together or a crossfeed filter or whatever. The problem for me, really, is the jargon. So, perhaps asking "how can I learn quickly" is akin to asking a comic book artist "how can I draw like that right now?"

If any DIY'ers are reading this and perhaps want to take pity on me, I'd be glad to farm this small custom job out (a few custom requirements).

- Matt

Sep 18, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 9
Hey, if I was at home I'd be happy to take a stab at making one for you. I actually think I have all the parts required to make a filter and Cmoy amp sitting on my workbench.

Unfortunatly, no soldering for me here in my dorm room, so I can't right now. What jargon in specific are you having a hard time understanding? Whip up a list and we may be able to clear up a few things

Sep 18, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 9
A problem for some one making it for you is the statement:

"I strongly recommend auditioning the filter on a breadboard first, before finalizing the component values.”

This would indicate some need for optimizing the circuit. One option would be to have the components in question placed into dip sockets so you could change them and evaluate the differences.

What type of headphones are you going to use this with? I see there is a high impedance and a low impedance circuit.

I guess you don't have access to a soldering iron then?

Please list your custon requirements? This looks interesting and I have all the parts laying around here anyways.

Sep 18, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 9
...requirements are not really that of internals, but rather of a few external design considerations. I am using this with the Stax SRS-3030 system, like in the article. I guess whatever values would be, then, whatever Chu Moy used in his, as this crossfeed was 'the best' with the Stax's.

This would not be an amp, just the crossfeed.

First, I would like it to be in a small-ish project enclosure with female RCA's for the inputs and male RCA plugs for the output end. The reason for this is that I would like to just "plug it in" to my headamp and then plug the IC's from the CD player into it on the other end, eliminating the need for a second pair of IC's.

With this in mind, I would not need the "filter bypass" position on the crossfeed level switch, only the two-position (or was it three) crossfeed posiitons.

The third thing is this: I have two sets of RCA jacks on the back of my headamp, like this:

R O O

L O O

The first vertical pair acts as inputs, the second as outputs (to, say, a receiver or a subwoofer). The male RCA outs from the crossfeed mini-box would need to have their edge right on the right wall of the project enclosure:
Quote:

so that the box (represented roughly above), if it is wide, does not interfere with the second set of RCA's, the one's that loop out.

(That "graphic" came out funky...sorry...it gives the general idea, though)

Those are the preferred requirements. I think that, aside from the making the male RCA's as close to the right side as possible, these changes will make the construction easier.

If you are willing to build this, I'd be much appreciative and would be willing to pay you for your work 'n parts.

- Matt

Sep 19, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 9
i'm taking a dab in the stark here, but i'd suggest measuring the exact distance, center-to-center, of the rca jacks on the back of your stax (hehe, i made a rhyme). i'm pretty sure this is a requirement for building this crossfeed.

it is a very good idea though. it'd be a pretty cool little thing to jack onto the back of my new rkv..
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back