Truthear Hexa vs Fiio FD3 vs 7hz Planar (of some kind?)
Jan 22, 2023 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

meowzus

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

After having one ear of my Fiio FH5's fail on me, I got the Fiio FD3 and was really impressed with the sound, regardless of the price. I'm not sure exactly what type of driver it is other than it being one large dynamic driver. Is this related to the new planar drivers that 7hz is using? I also hear people talking about the truthear hexa, although it's a more traditional hybrid driver setup. Can anyone who is familiar with these give me a bit of information on how they stackup with each other? Is the Truthear hexa comparable to the FH5, or the FLC 8S/8D in case you are familiar with those?

Thanks a lot!

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi everyone!

After having one ear of my Fiio FH5's fail on me, I got the Fiio FD3 and was really impressed with the sound, regardless of the price. I'm not sure exactly what type of driver it is other than it being one large dynamic driver. Is this related to the new planar drivers that 7hz is using? I also hear people talking about the truthear hexa, although it's a more traditional hybrid driver setup. Can anyone who is familiar with these give me a bit of information on how they stackup with each other? Is the Truthear hexa comparable to the FH5, or the FLC 8S/8D in case you are familiar with those?

Thanks a lot!
I have HEXA, Timeless, and Crinacle tuned FH3 = FHE. They sound very different. I like Truthear HEXA the most out of those three due to the tonal neutrality and technicality balanced with very high standard. Although overall Timeless could score 86/100 on my scale, while HEXA stays at 85/100, FHE is more of ungraded IEM compared to these two.

If you like vivid and bright /sparkle with nicely managed mid and sub-bass elevated tuning, an IEM has speed x energy, Timeless is a good pick. or Any planar IEM that fits your preference. It’s like Jackie Chen of the IEM, it has muscle and speed.

If you prefer neutrality, clean but certainly hits the right spot type IEM, HEXA does its job as intended, HEXA is Bruce Lee of IEM, it can accelerate from zero to top speed, (i.e. zero inch punch) in a nano second, it hit very fast and accurate with absolutely correct power to knock the target curve.
HEXA is not that traditional hybrid that you are used to listen, in recent 12 month, an ongoing wave of LCP driver were introduced to IEM world, HEXA uses one of best LCP driver to retain speed x energy for bass range, so you don’t have “slow bass vs fast BA treble “ type of uneven feeling for traditional hybrid.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 3
I have HEXA, Timeless, and Crinacle tuned FH3 = FHE. They sound very different. I like Truthear HEXA the most out of those three due to the tonal neutrality and technicality balanced with very high standard. Although overall Timeless could score 86/100 on my scale, while HEXA stays at 85/100, FHE is more of ungraded IEM compared to these two.

If you like vivid and bright /sparkle with nicely managed mid and sub-bass elevated tuning, an IEM has speed x energy, Timeless is a good pick. or Any planar IEM that fits your preference. It’s like Jackie Chen of the IEM, it has muscle and speed.

If you prefer neutrality, clean but certainly hits the right spot type IEM, HEXA does its job as intended, HEXA is Bruce Lee of IEM, it can accelerate from zero to top speed, (i.e. zero inch punch) in a nano second, it hit very fast and accurate with absolutely correct power to knock the target curve.
HEXA is not that traditional hybrid that you are used to listen, in recent 12 month, an ongoing wave of LCP driver were introduced to IEM world, HEXA uses one of best LCP driver to retain speed x energy for bass range, so you don’t have “slow bass vs fast BA treble “ type of uneven feeling for traditional hybrid.
Thanks for your reply! Do you happen to know what the driver technology is for the FD3 (and FD5/7) and how it differs from the Planar drivers? AlI know that it's beryllium and large and one dynamic driver and DLC coated. Not sure what any of these things have to do with each other or why it's unique.

Another question I had is, with these multi BA / hybrid IEMs, is there more of a chance of failure for one of the specific (usually a BA) driver compared to a single driver approach? I just sort of intuitively feel this might be the case, especially with the longevity issues I've been having with Chi-fi in general - (FH5 one side stops working totally, FCL8S one driver loses volume) and so on. I have had no issues with my FD3 so far.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back