Truth about Nordost Valhalla power cord
Oct 4, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #136 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc303 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are tourmaline and patrick82 the same person ?

anybody read Ender's Game?
biggrin.gif

high regards,

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #137 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

high regards,

No, we're not the same. The only simularity we have is that we both use nordost cables and experiment with audio.
tongue.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #138 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

high regards,

Yeah, are you referring to the second book that tells the exact same story from the antagonist's point of view? It's been many, many years and I forget the titles.

Back on topic. I enjoy Patrick's posts, and often smile when IMO he's over the top. A likeable eccentric with often useful info, is the way I'd describe him. Good way to get thinking about our most basic assumptions.

BTW, Orson Scott Card's stuff is mostly quite good, if a bit simplistic at times.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #139 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, are you referring to the second book that tells the exact same story from the antagonist's point of view? It's been many, many years and I forget the titles.

Back on topic. I enjoy Patrick's posts, and often smile when IMO he's over the top. A likeable eccentric with often useful info, is the way I'd describe him. Good way to get thinking about our most basic assumptions.

BTW, Orson Scott Card's stuff is mostly quite good, if a bit simplistic at times.

referring to the first book, where brother and sister become the most influential username on on-line forums, per their comments + posts they shape the way the politics react.

I'd die to have Patrick's litterallness and ability with words and concepts. Sometimes it's like poetry: have you read the Valhalla and Vishnu descriptions of this thread!!: sometimes sublime!!

regards,

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #140 of 177
Patrick has a sense of humor. That's what makes him a loveable kook, instead of just a kook. He's just about the only kook with a sense of humor around here. The rest are a surly bunch.

Wouldn't it be funny if we found out that Patrick was making fake cables and equipment out of aquarium tubing, scrap metal and long stockings just to playact at being the audiophools? I wouldn't put it past him.

See ya
Steve

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #141 of 177
bigshot has a sense of blabber. He tries to be cool like an expert audiophile with countless experiences and treats people who thinks against his opinions to be people who obsessed by placebo effects.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #142 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it's very fatiguing, I still get the headaches from listening to Valhalla interconnect.

I compensated for the Valhalla edginess by boosting up the burn-in volume. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...62#post3319862

Now I'm getting both heavier and faster sound than before. The computer + fat Valhalla has heavier, edgier and blacker sound than my more neutral Cary transport that costs 30 times more. I like the sound of computer more even when it is colored with lack of low-level detail. Computer is dead black while Cary is grey, flat and smooth. With some albums I get an overkill of blackness with the computer so I use Cary for those instead.

The only difference between transports is that lower jitter gives greyer sound and higher jitter gives blacker sound. Half a year ago I had tweaked my computer to sound greyer with more low-level details than Cary just because they used different tweaks. When I switched the tweaks between them, the sound followed with the tweaks. It's all about the tweaks. I only use Cary to get 192kHz upsampling and lower electricity, I would use computer otherwise because it gives the same sound and is 30 times cheaper.

Oct 21, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #143 of 177
The attentiveness and care with which you set up your equipment, listen, and report on what you hear is much appreciated, Patrick, and always very interesting. Thank you for another engaging read.

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #144 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mark303 must be the same as bigshot. they use the same terminology and troll in the same way.

troll ? why ? have i said something that you dont like so you too react with petty insults ?

this is an 8 page thread about how mp3 makes his ears hurt using a power cable.

ive give him a test of mp3 vs CD and he got 75% wrong. HELLO! YES 75% INCORRECT - He couldnt tell the difference between mp3/wav files. This whole thread is 8 pages of fantasy laa laa

if anyone is trolling, its you people with your countless threads regarding stupid claims about amazing changes in your hifi systems because of a power cable

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #145 of 177
Quote:

ive give him a test of mp3 vs CD and he got 75% wrong. HELLO! YES 75% INCORRECT - He couldnt tell the difference between mp3/wav files. This whole thread is 8 pages of fantasy laa laa

I don't think this means what you're implying
blink.gif

Or actually much of anything given the sample size
frown.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #147 of 177
Quote:

This whole thread is 8 pages of fantasy laa laa

The thread title promised the "Truth about Nordost Valhalla power cord".Admittedly a long and winded way to convey the truth, but quite convincing.
Quote:

if anyone is trolling, its you people with your countless threads regarding stupid claims about amazing changes in your hifi systems because of a power cable

Seems "they" do believe in their claims, and that's by definition not trolling, irrespective of whether "they" are in fact one person or several.

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #148 of 177
Quote:

troll ? why ? have i said something that you dont like so you too react with petty insults ?

this is an 8 page thread about how mp3 makes his ears hurt using a power cable.

The only thing that test proved was that skeptics are desperate in being right which results in them having poor reading skills. They see what they want to see, and when they finally see it properly, they start cherry picking to suit their beliefs. When they are faced with the truth, they start ignoring it.

MP3 doesn't make my ears hurt, WAV and VBR MP3 does, that's why I use 192kbps MP3 with my computer. Your test was VBR vs WAV using tracks I never heard before, and I never gave a final answer because the differences were too small.

With my albums the difference between 192kbps and 256kbps is bigger than 256kbps vs WAV. 128-192kbps has smearing, but 256 or VBR doesn't have it, the only differences I hear from 256kbps and above is from the high frequencies, and trance albums don't have enough of it. The only time I could hear a difference between 320kbps vs WAV was two and half years ago when I used 'The Lord Of The Rings - The Return Of The King' as my reference album. I haven't used classical as my reference for almost two years because they aren't complex enough.

The difference between a modded Nordost Vishnu and a modded Valhalla power cord is almost the same as the difference between 192kbps MP3 vs WAV. With original Vishnu vs original Valhalla the difference is bigger than 128kbps MP3 vs WAV just because the sound signature changes so much from the thicker cable.

My tweaked Cary transport + 1x16awg Valhalla + WAV has the same smoothness as computer + 5x16awg Valhalla + 128kbps MP3. Cary makes it smoother from lower jitter, and computer makes it smoother from smearing of MP3 and thicker power cord which also gives fake body.
When using WAV with the computer it sounds whiter, blacker and heavier than neutral, it is fatiguing so I often use 192kbps MP3 instead. 192kbps + computer still has a blacker background than my 30 times more expensive Cary transport + WAV.

The only reason Cary is good is because it has extra bass transients (more low-level detail) from the thinner power cord, higher frequencies from WAV, and cleaner highs from 192kHz upsampling and AES/EBU. Cary has too little jitter (too warm) and too much low-level detail so I needed to compensate for it by adding edginess from Valhalla interconnect which also cut off the lowest level details to make it even cleaner.

Getting the cheapest system is from Valkyrja wiring and jitter from computer.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #149 of 177
Patrick,
ignore the plonkers/trolls whatever - they are just a waste of time and space.

Now here's something for you to think about. I mod virtually every piece of equipment I buy, why - because even at the top end, commercial product is compromised by price considerations.

I make my own I/Cs and PCs and I have found that different caps inter-react significantly with different I/Cs.

I have a Bada PH12 - modded it is a true giantkiller but here's the thing when I used a really cheap Mundorf-Audiophiler cap with a Russian poly in oil, the sound is simply outstanding, truly organic, foot tapping exuberent music. The I/C I use is multi conductor and partially sheilded. Take out the Mundorf use another Russian poly bipassed with a Russian Teflon - result - more detail but also too hard and bright. The first combo sounds so good, who cares if I have sacrificed a little detail for a far more realistic sound.

The plonkers will tell you this is all placebo - yeh right - of course it is'nt.

The I/C is so revealing that it truly shows what effect the caps have on the sound.

Have you ever thought about looking at what caps and resistors are used in your equipment, can you identify those that have the most effect on the final sound. This is very important and you may find that by changing a few caps you may prefer different I/Cs and power cords.

I was a skeptic until I decided to make my own power cord. After two days it suddenly opened up the sound of the Bada - from that point on I KNEW that different wires made a sometimes a big difference and sometimes subtle ones but the journey had begun.

I now think that you have to look at cables and caps especially and not in isolation.

To all the plonkers - don't bother making any comments on my post, I will ignore them as worthless and negative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back