Truth about Nordost Valhalla power cord
Sep 28, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #91 of 177
excuses excuses

so now your trance mp3s are better quality than my wav files ?

ha ha

I dont use headphones but on my kit, those tracks sound pretty good with great detail , imaging and seperation

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #92 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc303 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excuses excuses

so now your trance mp3s are better quality than my wav files ?

ha ha

I dont use headphones but on my kit, those tracks sound pretty good with great detail , imaging and seperation

They were also very quiet tracks, I had to boost up the volume with 6+ dB to hear them.

Do you have the results? Just say how many was correct and how many was wrong, then I can keep on trying until I get all of them correct.

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #93 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were also very quiet tracks, I had to boost up the volume with 6+ dB to hear them.

Do you have the results? Just say how many was correct and how many was wrong, then I can keep on trying until I get all of them correct.

the tracks were not adjusted from the cd conversion. no normalising etc took place.

I have the results but I am not going to share them with you until you tell me your final answer.

Ill be honest , my system is quite revealing and I cannot hear any difference between them (but i do have a cold and my ears feel blocked)

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #94 of 177
Quote:

the tracks were not adjusted from the cd conversion. no normalising etc took place.

I have the results but I am not going to share them with you until you tell me your final answer.

Ill be honest , my system is quite revealing and I cannot hear any difference between them (but i do have a cold and my ears feel blocked)

With my tweaks I never have a final answer, I only have guesses. People who have final answers are delusional.

It will take a year of listening to give a final answer, maybe longer since I don't like that type of music, it is very slow without many complex passages. I need to boost up the volume and I can't fine tune it with my pre-amp either. I have fine tuned the volume of my system by using tweaks. I always use the same volume because most of my albums are within half dB. A few of my albums are 1dB quiter and they sound a bit muddy because of it, I compensate for them by using a 1dB quieter burn-in volume of my headphones to increase the edginess.

2 and half years ago I upgraded my reference 320 kbps mp3 album into WAV, and I heard a clear difference because the transparency scared me, but that was just because I had listened to the 320 kbps mp3 tracks 50+ times within a 6 month period.

You need to listen to a track many times to hear all details in it. If you have listened to a track for 50 times you know how much detail is there. If you suddenly hear more detail on the 51st time than all the previous times, then it's more likely there was an improvement in the system.
Listening 50 times in the same day doesn't work because of fatigue. It needs to be spread out over many months.

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #95 of 177
Quote:

With my tweaks I never have a final answer, I only have guesses. People who have final answers are delusional.

yes you are

Quote:

I couldn't listen to mp3 anymore because the difference between mp3 and WAV was bigger. With mp3 the music smeared together but with WAV it was clean.

obviously not the case

Quote:

I can listen to mp3 again! But instead of it sounding too thin, it sounds heavy from the fat Valhalla power cord.

you could listen to mp3 anyway. As demonstrated ,if you cannot tell the difference between a wav and an mp3 then what chance do you have of listening to a power cord ? - NONE

I shall now tell you the answers

tracks 1,3,5,7 are wav
tracks 2,4,6,8 are mp3

You guessed song 1 correctly and that is all - 25% and that is lower than probability

the mp3s are recorded at High quality VBR (160-260kbps) so it isnt even at mp3s highest resolution.

thanks for taking part , till next time - cherio
smily_headphones1.gif

[track 1+2 : Smashing Pumpkins - Dissarm]
[track 3+4 : Sneaker Pimps - Low Five]
[track 5+6 : DDR - Mad Cows On Acid (rozzers dog mix)]
[track 7+8 : Rolling Stones - Blinded By Rainbows]

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #96 of 177
Quote:

obviously not the case

I made these comparisons with the computer using the fat Valhalla power cord which made the differences between mp3 and wav smaller. Mp3 is good enough when using Valhalla band-aid.

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #97 of 177
Quote:

I made these comparisons with the computer using the fat Valhalla power cord which made the differences between mp3 and wav smaller.

No

your hifi isnt revealing enough to hear the difference between mp3 and wav. Your power cord does not add detail to music.

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #98 of 177
Quote:

you could listen to mp3 anyway. As demonstrated ,if you cannot tell the difference between a wav and an mp3 then what chance do you have of listening to a power cord ? - NONE

Power cords make a bigger difference than 192kbps mp3 vs wav because the sound signature changes which makes it easier to hear. With mp3 vs wav the only difference is smearing.

Quote:

I shall now tell you the answers

You didn't have enough patience to wait a year?

Quote:

tracks 1,3,5,7 are wav
tracks 2,4,6,8 are mp3

You guessed song 1 correctly and that is all - 25% and that is lower than probability

Actually with my first impressions I guessed 3, 5, 7 first, but then changed my mind because they sounded too muddy to be wav. I could hear a difference between 5 and 6 but I didn't know which was better, I listened to 5 again and it sounded too muddy so it couldn't be it, I was wrong then.

Quote:

the mp3s are recorded at High quality VBR (160-260kbps) so it isnt even at mp3s highest resolution.

For a long time I couldn't listen to 192 kbps mp3 but I could still listen to VBR, so VBR is very good. I'm not going to upgrade those.

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #99 of 177
Quote:

No

your hifi isnt revealing enough to hear the difference between mp3 and wav. Your power cord does not add detail to music.

Like I said many times in this thread. Valhalla power cord removes detail, the conductors themselves make it sound thinner with less low-level detail. Adding multiple conductors remove even more low-level detail while making it sound heavier than neutral. I have used mp3 for a long time because the differences are too small. I have said many times in the past that Valhalla power cord + Valhalla interconnect are made for mp3's.

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #101 of 177
Quote:

can I ask what you are trying to achieve with your tweeks and why you have never taken the loudspeaker route ?

With my tweaks I want to make it sound like real life, I don't like neutral and revealing sound because it is boring. Having more revealing sound sounds harsh, noisy and fatiguing, it doesn't sound like real life. Adding something that worsens the sound makes it sound more musical. That's what Valhalla power cord does. All power cords worsen the sound but the buyer doesn't want to admit it because he tries to justify his purchase. They try to convince others that their cable is more "neutral" than stock cable. But with my experiments that isn't true.

With the interconnects it's different. But with power cords, stock cable sounds more neutral to me, but it's fatiguing. With Valhalla power cord I can listen for hours because less low-level detail makes it sound cleaner.

I don't like loudspeakers because when I get evicted I don't have anywhere to plug my audio system into.

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #102 of 177
Quote:

With my tweaks I want to make it sound like real life, I don't like neutral and revealing sound because it is boring. Having more revealing sound sounds harsh, noisy and fatiguing, it doesn't sound like real life. Adding something that worsens the sound makes it sound more musical. That's what Valhalla power cord does. All power cords worsen the sound but the buyer doesn't want to admit it because he tries to justify his purchase. They try to convince others that their cable is more "neutral" than stock cable. But with my experiments that isn't true.

With the interconnects it's different. But with power cords, stock cable sounds more neutral to me, but it's fatiguing. With Valhalla power cord I can listen for hours because less low-level detail makes it sound cleaner.

I don't like loudspeakers because when I get evicted I don't have anywhere to plug my audio system into.

Not with my equipment; stock cable sounds considderably worse then either high end copper cable or silverplated copper cable.

You have to take into account that every cable can sound different on another rig, so, your statement that every stock cable sounds good is not as global as you try make us think.

it depends from rig to rig. on a bright system copper might be the best bet, on a dark sounding rig, copper or silverplated copper might be better.

Sep 30, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #103 of 177
Quote:

Valhalla power cord + Valhalla interconnect are made for mp3's.

I'm trying the Valhalla interconnect again.

I changed the 27cm Valkyrja + 15cm Valhalla hybrid into 44cm Valhalla. It sounds unreal. I hear the Valhalla signature in every album, they all sound the same! The Valhalla interconnect is covering up the low-level details but the whiteness is boosted up. It sounds quieter than Valkyrja because the attack and decay is removed which doesn't make it sound as full. It overall sounds a dB quieter but with the same surface volume which makes it a little fatiguing. I'm hearing special whiteness in the vocals but right now it doesn't bother me because the Valhalla hasn't been burned in yet. It sounds smoother and whiter than Valkyrja. It's sounds like warm snow!

Valhalla is amazing, it's the only tweak where I don't care about losing the low-level details because the coloration sounds so good. With Valkyrja I was listening to the recording, but with Valhalla I'm listening to another world! It sounds so unreal!

It's like you are in the dark with a UV light and you see your teeth glow white. That's what Valhalla interconnect does, it turns off the lights and boosts up the whiteness. It removes the noisy low-level details and makes everything sound clean, then it boosts up the surface details to give the illusion of clarity. The end result is smoother and whiter sound than neutral.

Both the Valhalla interconnect and power cord remove low-level detail to make it smoother and cleaner. There's a lot of stuff missing in the music, but it still sounds better. Valhalla interconnect takes the recording and puts it into a magic blender...and out comes a different recording not from this world!

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #104 of 177
I got headache from the Valhalla interconnect now. It's fatiguing because the attack and decay are gone.
I never got headache when I used Valkyrja. I'm surprised how huge the difference between Valkyrja and Valhalla is.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #105 of 177
Quote:

I got headache from the Valhalla interconnect now. It's fatiguing because the attack and decay are gone.
I never got headache when I used Valkyrja. I'm surprised how huge the difference between Valkyrja and Valhalla is.

I don't know what to think about this latest turn of "truth", but it's most probably not a brain tumor since those rarely cause headaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back