Truly terrifying listening experience you've had with headphones!
Mar 3, 2009 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Sub Umbra

New Head-Fier
Have you ever listened to an album that actually scared or terrified you?

With your headphones on in the dark?

Here is a few I've experienced, and I'm always looking for more:

Sunn O))) - Black One
Fantomas - Delirium Cordia
Accurst - Fragments of a Nightmare
Stalaggh - Project Misanthropia
Atrium Carceri - Cell Block
Senthil - Crypticorifislit
Abruptum - Evil Genius
Wormphlegm - Tomb of the Ancient King
Spektr - Near Death Experience

Please add your own!

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have a hard time waking up, so I set the first 15 seconds of Pink Floyd's Time to my alarm. YAAGHHH!

Holy bovine, that's a great idea!
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once woke up in the middle of the night thinking Tom Waits was sitting on my chest. Thank you, HD600...

lmaoooooooooooo
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 26
Sometimes strange combination of sounds through my headphones seem like someone talking in the background, very often i suddenly turn down the volume just to discover it was my imagination...

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 26
I'm listening to music and watching the day's sports highlights. It's maybe one am. I see this shadow go in front of my tv a couple of times. I'm thinking maybe a bird came down the chimney. So I turn on a light and to my amazement(and a bit of fear), an adult bat is flying around my room. Fortunately, he lands down in one of my stat speakers where I throw a towel over them. I unwire it and take the speaker outside, where they crawled out and flew away.

Now this goes by and not two months later, a baby bat shows up in a similar environment. I found him under my dog's crate. I'm worried about rabies and my pets but nothing came from it.

When you open your eyes from a concentrated listening session, you are a bit disorganized and seeing something that shouldn't be was not perhaps terrorizing but kinda fits the thread title.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 26
I've had some fairly spine-chilling moments with a dark room and dark ambient playing. The artists that the OP mentioned are good ones.

Some more are Lustmord (duh), Ionosphere, Sleep Research Facility and Thomas Koner.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont remember the exact songs, but I swear I've turned around and checked to see if someone was behind me quite a few times.

x2

I have done this many times, also turned down the volume, especially when listening to Joe Satriani's "Andalusia", from his newest album, somewhere between 1:05-1:10 there is some ambient noise in the background, which got my attention many times. It is kind of freaky.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont remember the exact songs, but I swear I've turned around and checked to see if someone was behind me quite a few times.

I agree. Similar to hearing some sort of siren-like sound while in the car.

Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante freaks me out a bit on headphones.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 26
The most memrable incident some what related to this issue happened to me in my car. I was listening to In Rainbows for the first time on my car when I was on the freeway. On the last song, towards the end there is a sound effect that repeats itself, think its a drum loop of some sort and its predominantly on one channel. It was raining that day as well and the volume wasnt set very high. But this repetitive sound felt like it was coming from the left wheel, I thought either something was stuck, or there was some sort of problem. I tried to listen real hard looked around, and it never struck me that it was from the speakers. I pulled over, inspected the wheel, looked under the car, all in pouring rain, couldnt figure it out so I continued driving, the cd looped back to the first song and the sound finally stopped, I figured it out only after that.

It was a real scary and strange experience cos I have had a couple of bad experiences with tires blowing up on the freeway and a nut falling off leading to wobbling, so it was dejavu for me at that moment.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 26
This one still makes my wife and her friends howl.

I was a sophomore in college, circa 1972, and I was sitting on the windowsill of my room (I lived in a frat, ATO, with custom bumper sticks that read, I kid you not, Always Turned On).

Anyway, I remember the song Get Together, by The Youngbloods, was playing. It was a beautiful spring day in Syracuse NY. I had on my trusty pair of Koss headphones, and just might have been under the influence of some illegal substance or another. When I sharply turned my head, my hair, which was very long (shoulder length) flicked into the corner of my eye. For some stupid reason, I thought someone had come up behind me, and it scared the crap out of me. I fell out of the window, but somehow managed to hang on to the window ledge, literally, and climbed back in. It was the third floor, so it could have been ugly. But, I got very, very lucky. No one even saw it happen. True story.

Of course, Headphones weren't the only reason I nearly met a really dumb demise, but not hearing the outside world certainly helped scare me into my idiotic situation.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #15 of 26
Good stories dudes. I would like some scary music suggestions as well as the cool anecdotes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back