true adudiophile card?
Jul 31, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #46 of 72
IF you want to do DSD>PCM you don't need the Sonoma. The Korg MR-1 or MR-1000 can do that I lot cheaper. I'm too lazy to deal with DSD and high rez. PCM does just fine. The EMU cards always impress me, drivers and software (Patchmix) shouldn't be forgotten as a sought after feature, and 1212M has a boatload of connectors (balanced/unbalanced).

DC

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

IF you want to do DSD>PCM you don't need the Sonoma. The Korg MR-1 or MR-1000 can do that I lot cheaper.

Agreed, but the question was about soundcards, not stand alone recorders/players
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #48 of 72
You got me there. That Sonoma is $$$$. Geez.

And what's with all the caps on the Onkyo cards given the SNR isn't even 120db which is seen on a lot of cards (EMU, M-audio, etc.) with more connections (I/O) and less caps?

DC

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #49 of 72
onkyo SE200 is a good choice for audiophile listening from computer, nice upgrade from creative x-fi

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcilantro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IF you want to do DSD>PCM you don't need the Sonoma. The Korg MR-1 or MR-1000 can do that I lot cheaper. I'm too lazy to deal with DSD and high rez. PCM does just fine. The EMU cards always impress me, drivers and software (Patchmix) shouldn't be forgotten as a sought after feature, and 1212M has a boatload of connectors (balanced/unbalanced).

DC

Can't agree more with the E-MU software. I'm using the 1212m PCI and I've never had an issue with getting any playback to work and my Patchmix is just embedded into my desktop, pretty handy controls. Excellent DAC, great build quality and sweet software. Definitely the go-to card within it's price range for active monitors. Plus, there's always the external upgrade boxes you can add on for even more features.

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #51 of 72
The only I disliked with the Patchmix was the load time of it (at Windows startup) due to the Effects Presets. I never use them so I just deleted the folder and load is much quicker; a minor quibble.

I could get rid of 1212M now that I have a DAC1 & Ad-10 but the Patchmix will be very helpful to route things on my system, that , and the build quality is top notch so I feel confident using their I/O (Toslink and coax S/PDIF).

I started testing the onboard Realtek HD digital I/O the other day and things were getting strange (clipping of test signal, crosstalk alarm). And the Realtek control panel is AWFUL.

DC

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #52 of 72
That's kind of how I feel about all the other cards I've used; there's always some issue that I have to troubleshoot around or something doesn't work in playback and I just end up compromising somehow. I've never had any issues with my E-MU since I installed it. And this is on my main rig so I'm gaming, playing HD and music and constantly switching codecs and trying out new software and the card always plays nice.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #53 of 72
Okay, I have read through this thread and I was stuck with a question. I believe it was partially answered but I need it to be clarified.

I currently have the X-Fi Fitality sound card and I plan to upgrade to a better audiophile sound card. I am pretty much looking for a sound card that does everything (movies, games, music) and I also have a 5.1 surround sound system which I use here and there when my folks are not home.

Out of the cards listed, what can make movies, music, and games sound good?

I also saw that the sound cards which have a digital out can be used with a stereo surround sound system too? What worries me here is that these sound cards are "2 channel output" so this worries me about a 5.1 speaker setup...but it does accept optical input. I am looking forward to the answers. Thanks!

BTW: This thread is awsome...very valuable info in here...

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #56 of 72
I went from Creative PCI -> External High End DAC (lotsa $$) -> RME Digi PCI -> Alesis io2 USB. I am gonna get a RME again, its worth the dough ! How could you even compare a Maudio to a RME interface earlier in this tread. Back to School! :wink: No seriously the best Maudio Drivers and Sound is by far worse than the cheapest RME out there. Get the RME Hammerfall. You wont be disappointed. Another good option would be Echo Audiofires or Apogee ($$)

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by RokasLTU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjapixie
The Juli@ also does not have a headphone-out which means you must have a dedicated headphone amp.

Do you mean that my Grado SR80 (32ohms) wouldn't work with it without amp?

Exactly. Line-out only. This kind of card is intended for use with a mixer or similar.

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I have read through this thread and I was stuck with a question. I believe it was partially answered but I need it to be clarified.

I currently have the X-Fi Fitality sound card and I plan to upgrade to a better audiophile sound card. I am pretty much looking for a sound card that does everything (movies, games, music) and I also have a 5.1 surround sound system which I use here and there when my folks are not home.

Out of the cards listed, what can make movies, music, and games sound good?

I also saw that the sound cards which have a digital out can be used with a stereo surround sound system too? What worries me here is that these sound cards are "2 channel output" so this worries me about a 5.1 speaker setup...but it does accept optical input. I am looking forward to the answers. Thanks!

BTW: This thread is awsome...very valuable info in here...

uh how about the xonar hdav1.3 delux? its suprisingly good in the specs department. bur brown dac and realy good op amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back