true adudiophile card?
Jul 20, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #31 of 72
M-Audio Audiophile 2496...does exactly what is says on the tin! Excellent card when I used it and still giving sterling service in my brother-in-law's machine. Price is very good now. If you want a gaming capable card I would buy the 2496 and the basic Creative X-Fi or Asus Xonar. I used to run the 2496 with an Audigy 2 with no issues.

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by XEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would a soundcard like the ESI Juli@ be a good alternative to a low end DAC (sub-$150)?

Yes and no. It will give you a lot more versatility for $150. With the ESI you get a decent D/A, A/D, balanced and SE ins and outs, 192Khz, and good S/PDIF out with great options for modding. If I had to choose the Julia or a DAC for the same money I would get a Buffalo DAC and use the computers S/PDIF. The DAC and PS with cost you a little over $200, but you will likely never upgrade until they invent a new format. It may have the best S/PDIF receiver built into the DAC and if you were to have the upgrade bug you could add an I/V output stage $50-$1000(the $50 one may be the best) or a Julia for a more stable S/PDIF or the direct I2S option. For less than $250 you will be hard pressed to beat the Buffalo from user opinions and this makes sense since the specs of the DAC are amazing! Add the NP D1 I/V for $50 in parts or the Julia as you see fit. The onboard volume control is said to be very good too.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes and no. It will give you a lot more versatility for $150. With the ESI you get a decent D/A, A/D, balanced and SE ins and outs, 192Khz, and good S/PDIF out with great options for modding. If I had to choose the Julia or a DAC for the same money I would get a Buffalo DAC and use the computers S/PDIF. The DAC and PS with cost you a little over $200, but you will likely never upgrade until they invent a new format. It may have the best S/PDIF receiver built into the DAC and if you were to have the upgrade bug you could add an I/V output stage $50-$1000(the $50 one may be the best) or a Julia for a more stable S/PDIF or the direct I2S option. For less than $250 you will be hard pressed to beat the Buffalo from user opinions and this makes sense since the specs of the DAC are amazing! Add the NP D1 I/V for $50 in parts or the Julia as you see fit. The onboard volume control is said to be very good too.

From what I understand, the Buffalo DAC is a DIY project?
For the moment, I'm happy with the Juli@ soundcart.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understand, the Buffalo DAC is a DIY project?
For the moment, I'm happy with the Juli@ soundcart.

Yup, it's a diy project, though only the most conservative builds could pull off a buffalo dac for $250. Just the dac module, power supply, and transformer would cost about $250 shipped to your house, meaning you'd be stringing paper-clips together in a cardboard box..

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #35 of 72
Tiemen, I went from:
onboard => Audigy 2 ZS => M-Audio 2496 => ESI Juli@ => Benchmark DAC1

All of them had big differences, for me.

I would get a Bel Canto DAC3 if it had a phone amp... The Benchmark combo is so great because of that.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #36 of 72
For me the best sound card are the external soundcard from RME and the like.
My friend got a RME Hammerfall and it sound sooooooo good it hurt.
But it sure cost way more than Juli@ and the like.
I for myself use an EMU 1212m and it sound pretty darn good, especialy for the price i paid for it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjapixie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the Juli@ and it works great for games and movies (never tried tv). I've never tired to use a remote either. The only problem I've ever had with the Juli@ was getting ASIO to work in Foobar.
...snip

I have no idea whatsoever how to get ASIO working with the Juli@
redface.gif

I use my PC for streaming audio and occasionally playing a CD.

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Xonar D2/X, chewed up my x-fi and spat it out within the first 5 minutes of listening - and I prefer it's DAC capabilities to the much-fancied Zero.

5*

Yes. Xonar D2X is a very nice sound card (can't compare with Creative). For it's price it's probably the best sound card for music listening.

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

true audiophile card?
is there such a thing? and if there is what would the price be?

Yes, such a thing does exist. It's a PCI card. The Price? $8,000 but you need to add $8,625 for the DAC, and if you want to record then add another $8,625 for the ADC

So, for the card and associated converters, bought as a package, you'll pay $21,000. Sounds a lot but what you get in return is universally acknowledged as being the best. The Sonoma DSD Multitrack Recorder and Editor (just add your own PC or buy their custom built one for an additional $9,500). You can't get more Audiophile than that. And at only $21,000 it's an audiophile bargain, Especially if you live in the UK!

http://www.superaudiocenter.com

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lokonsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ONKYO SE-200PCI LTD anyone?

Didn't know Onkyo makes soundcards
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #45 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by truejoker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well they are. and i think, that i reed a tread on them in head-fi .

You're right
redface.gif

Just googled one: GeekStuff4U.com - ONKYO SE-200PCI LTD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back